All mixed up: 'nother '52 Ford PU build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks great too. im almost at that point to start setting things together to see how they are gonna look. Keep up the good work. It looks awesome!

Opinions, please!

I THOUGHT I had my mind made up on this Dodge grille, but now I am not so sure. It does need to be moved further back towards the engine, but anyway, here is a picture with it in place and also with a Chevy grille in place I bought a while back. So far, we are thinking of running frame horns through the grille, and to mount these headlight up next to the upper part of the grille, but open to ideas. I am also thinking about a tractor type grille, like an early Farm-all or IH. Something round-like. Whatta ya think?

Attachments

• DSCN1317.JPG
    DSCN1317.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN1320.JPG
    DSCN1320.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN1323.JPG
    DSCN1323.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN1324.JPG
    DSCN1324.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN1311.JPG
    DSCN1311.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 86
Thanks, rockb1! I am pretty tickled, to say the least! That rear end looks too cool to cover up, in my humble opinion :D After we get done with the frame, it will be time to chop the top...can't hardly wait!!

The Dodge grill looks fantastic IMO!!! I'd move it back a little like you said. Either way, with the Dodge or Chevy grills I think they both have their advantages and you can't go wrong with either one. A tractor grill wouldn't do that awesome truck any justice and I'm even using a Allis-Chalmers grill myself on my 51 f1. IMO again, stick with the ones you have and decide which one you like best. By the way, you've done a great job so far! I'm really impressed.

Thanks for the update and pics.

Thunder

Thanks, dmw56! That means alot, because your truck has been an inspiration for me to get on mine!

I found out today that the Dodge grille I have is a 1946. We went to a small swap meet / cruise-in at Owensville, OH, and there was this 1946 Dodge truck all done up. The owner said they are semi-rare...maybe a good reason to use what I already have, as long as I do like it. Then when we were leaving, this Plymouth truck was in the parking lot. It appears to be the same grille, less the trim. Weird...

I have an order in at Speedway Motors for the parts to mount the engine, then Mr. Gussett can fab a transmission mount, and we can finalize the front end. I did buy some old aluminum connecting rods today to mount my healights, also.

Attachments

• DSCN1326.JPG
    DSCN1326.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN1331.JPG
    DSCN1331.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 47
I really like the Dodge Grill. I really think it fits the overall look of your truck. In not usually a fan of Dodge but I do like that grill

Do you have any plans for the old 20" wheels? Looking for some for my '49 F5 project. Mine are looking pretty rough where the centers are riveted to the rims.

boaski, I think you are referring to the 21 in wheel you can see in the background...? That is the spare for my 30 coupe...and I am not sure what I am going to do with those...I can let you know later.

Actually I was looking at the wheels on the dump truck you pulled the cab off of.

I started with a F5 grain truck.
6-15-08B.jpg

I'm moving kind of slow but intent to keep the 5 lug 20" wheels.
7-4-08A.jpg

One of these days I'll get some new pictures.

Good talking to you today.

Here's a couple pictures of where it sits as of this moment.
Misc026.jpg

Misc027.jpg

If I get to the point that is actually moves under it's own power this summer I will consider it to be a major success.

Update: more progress

We made a little progress the other night. Got the motor and tranny set, and the firewall cut out a bit. Now we are ready to mount the cab, and then we get to chop the top! I cannot wait...it is eatin' me up! Got more parts ordered, too. Ordered a lake header kit from Speedway, (GREAT folks), and I also bought a cool belt system on eBay that is due this week. I already have some Supertrapp mufflers that I bought at the last swap meet in Columbus, so those will be ready to go soon...a little at a time go a long ways...

Attachments

• DSCN1342.JPG
    DSCN1342.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN1343.JPG
    DSCN1343.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN1344.JPG
    DSCN1344.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN1345.JPG
    DSCN1345.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1353.JPG
    DSCN1353.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 93
After you told me about it today Bill, I had to look up your build thread..... It's a cool looking truck.... I like it....

Yeah, yeah, it's an update!

OK, I have neglected my thread, and I am fessing up! Anyway, I am going to post some updated pics and try to keep on it.

Here is some pictures from the chop. We took six inches off the top, and it still has good head room! If you can afford a donor truck, it really helps!

Attachments

• DSCN1288.JPG
    DSCN1288.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN1367.JPG
    DSCN1367.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1373.JPG
    DSCN1373.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN1374.JPG
    DSCN1374.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN1375.JPG
    DSCN1375.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN1376.JPG
    DSCN1376.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN2004.JPG
    DSCN2004.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 56
Filled in the cowl...

At first, I was ashamed to admit that I buckled under peer pressure, but now, I am glad I did. My friends thought I should extend and smooth in the cowl...the empty space left from the absence of the hood. We cut the hood off, and I made a pattern and cut some pieces for the vertical surfaces between the firewall and the new "cowl extension". I then filled in the void under the new extension, going down the side...

Attachments

• DSCN1379-1.JPG
    DSCN1379-1.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN2023.JPG
    DSCN2023.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN2058-1.JPG
    DSCN2058-1.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN2059-1.JPG
    DSCN2059-1.JPG