I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2009_0209trk0011.jpg

Got the motor mounts built, by modifying the originals. They need some finishing before they will be fit to be shown.
Blue Eyed Devil, your suggestion was so good I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it.:eek: I intended to take the intake and exhaust manifolds off right away, but leaving them on gave me the surface I needed to get level.
Above is the transmission crossmember, made out of a couple rejected pieces of roll bar.
As luck would have it, there's a slant 6 with 2 automatic transmissions on Craigslist, for $150/BO. I might be starting a collection.:eek:

2009_0212trk0001.jpg

The engine and trans are in. I modified the original motor mounts which was easier than starting from scratch. Off to the right side is the "backup" engine I bought yesterday.

2009_0212trk0004.jpg

The factory installed Hurst shifter is visible. The floor is 1/8" thick plate which is supposed to protect my butt if the driveshaft or differential decide to attack. It is bolted in place. I still need to install a driveshaft loop. I have one from my Anglia but haven't been able to find it.

2009_0212trk0005.jpg

Another view of the "Butt Protector Plate" (BPP).:D A Kirkey aluminum seat bolts directly to the floor.

Blue Eyed Devil, your suggestion was so good I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it.:eek:

Haha glad I could be of service. I am good for something every once in a while... :D Everything is looking great. I've got a soft spot for the "leaning tower of power" anyways, so I am excited to see this one come together.

2009_0215trk0011.jpg

In my stack of junk I found a Model A pedal. After bending, twisting and adding to it, I mounted it to the frame and cobbled some linkage and it actually disengages the clutch! It feels good sitting in the car. If I miss shifts, it's not going to be an equipment problem, it wil be "operator error".:D

2009_0215trk0015.jpg

Another view of the clutch pedal. Also, you can see the top half of the scattershield. It is 1/4" thick. I made patterns using 1/4" plywood and cut the steel with an angle grinder with cut off wheels.

2009_0218trk0003.jpg

The scattershield is done except for welding. The top & bottom halves bolt to ears welded to the frame. A framework of 3/4" square tubing is bolted in to support the floor. It is bolted in in case I find out I'm a bad shifter & decide to put an auto trans in it.

2009_0218trk0002.jpg

Still need to cut holes for the shifter and clutch pedal and bolt the floor down. I need to make a transition from the floor to the scattershield too.

2009_0218trk0008.jpg

I'm thinking of running a tube where you see the green tape, to stiffen the Model T frame. What do you think of the look with the extra tube?

I'm thinking of running a tube where you see the green tape, to stiffen the Model T frame. What do you think of the look with the extra tube?

It's nice when form follows function. Continuing the pipe along the same angle will look ok, but the angled cut on the end of the pipe will be difficult to weld underneath and at such an extreme angle it will probably not be as strong as you require. IMO the overall pipe would be better if you were able to level it out a bit from the existing pipe, then bend it down +/-35 degrees to the frame. Mock up some pieces before wasting the pipe, I could be way off base!:eek:

2009_0223trk0001.jpg

I've been feeling like dogpoopoo for the last week so not much has happened. The floor, posterboard firewall, shifter and clutch pedal are all in place. This is the driver's eye view of the forward cockpit. I built the scattershield in a wierd skewed shape but I ain't gonna change it.
Soon I'll build the intake/exhaust system. I am debating the carb setup. It needs to be old style 1 barrel or 2 barrel carbs. It's hard to find the CFM ratings on those old units. I'll make a removable top plate on the intake so I can switch the number and type of carbs. That's what
this class is about; tinkering with the set up, just like the old days.
A number of the guys with running HA/GR's told me a forward diagonal tube isn't necessary. So, I'll skip it.

Last edited:
2009_0225trk0005.jpg

Managed to make a header/intake flange plate out of 5/16" by 3" plate today, but mostly spent the day at my "old boys" lunch and the BS session afterward. Great therapy though.:p

2009_0226trk0004.jpg

Picked up some 90 degree EMT bends and cut them in half. The plenum is 1/16" with 1/8" flanges for attaching the top. Still need to add the end flanges. The top plate will probably be aluminum. Haven't decided on the carbs yet. Any suggsstions on header pipe routing?

Headers,,,,,,,,

Don't know if you can see from this photo but the old man used to run a slant six back in the day. He was able to just BLOW the V-8's off the track with this thing.
I don't remember what the numbers where but he was doing the same quarter time as the drag racers but had two corners to go around. :eek:
Looks like a cool header setup???

Attachments

• DVC00006.JPG
    DVC00006.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back