I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2009_0501trk0003.jpg

Well, I hung almost all the parts on it, threw on some incorrect wheels and tires and rolled it outside. Cars always look better outside and you can see proportions and stance much better than in the garage. I have a lot of little tasks remaining but it could be running in a couple weeks.
I have a couple names for the dragster and hope to have the wife of a friend (she's a friend too), who is a sign painter do the artwork and lettering. I'll wait to see what she comes up with before selecting one.
Todd, with all of 145 HP, not too much worry about the "brown streaks".

2009_0501trk0007.jpg

Thought I'd give y'all a full frontal view.
Thanks for all the nice comments. It is really appreciated. This has been a very fun project. I got to do some things I haven't done before. And there's no time consuming "street stuff" to build or add to the digger. Just a bare bones drag racin' machine.

Last edited:
There's a 1/8 mile track 80 miles west of Minneapolis. That's where I'll get acquainted woth the thing. Could run at Brainerd for the Street Rod Association Drags. Hope to go to Mo-Kan in Missouri in Aug. for the H--B Drags.

Man, there is no hate-o-meter in the world that reads high enough to measure the hatred i feel for slants. Had one in my 69 VF Chrysler Valiant, possibly the worst thing in the world to work on (mine backfired and broke my hand (very, very little clearance for hands between the rocker cover and the inner fender) while trying to change the ignition timing, so i stabbed it right through its rocker cover with the nearest screwdriver).

I tried hopelessly to run a 350 holley on it, all that did was waste my well-earned, spent on the petrol which it flooded and cleaned my cylinder walls with.

Had oiling problems in the rocker bar department (yes i'm aware the bar has to be oriented properly, made no difference which way i put it on).

I swear that car/engine wanted to kill me or something. Sold it about 5mths after it broke my hand.

But, i don't see you having the problems with getting to the various components during tuning, nice wide open engine bay! Hopefully if I end up using the slant i have in my project, it isn't as evil as the one in my Val!!!

The dragster looks awesome!!! Can't wait to hear that slant screaming out those pipes!!!

Very Nice !!!

Bob, the car looks awesome. You should be running soon.
I got a chance to watch 4 different HA/GR "rails" run at dragfest,
the guys were having a ball... One was running a slant 6 :D
I have some photos of the competition if you are interested ;)
Looking foreward to some action footage, again great job. '22

racer135, I sure hope I don't develop any reasons to hate the slant. If it gives me too much trouble, I'll try something else. One problem already is the small bellhousing won't hold a very big clutch & I haven't found a NHRA (SFI) legal clutch. Hoping to get some good guideance on the Slant Six website.
22dodge, One slant there was a rear engine car. He posts a great deal on that OTHER site. He's answered many of my questions.
Flipper, The radials are just to make it a roller. I do have a pair of Hurst cheaters I might try even though they apparently don't hook well. I have "legal" racing tires which are G78-15 bias. Just need to get some rims soon.

22dodge, One slant there was a rear engine car. He posts a great deal on that OTHER site. He's answered many of my questions.

Yeah, Bob, he was there and I talked briefly to him.
Photos of the car are in the Dragfest photo section.
Very interesting car.... :cool: '22

2009_0511trk0002.jpg

My wife & daughter tried some sour apple vodka martinis. All I got was the plastic bottle, so I used it for the radiator overflow container.

Latest posts

Back