I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good and not something you see everyshow. You know the old saying build a better mouse trap and they will come and I think they will you got it going on![cl

This is a truly awesome build. There is a lot of great work and vision that went into this dragster. Congrats, and good luck!

Trailer004.jpg

Nothing new on the dragster. I'll be running it with the stock, tired engine and the recently installed 904 automatic trans. It will be a good test of the benefits of the auto trans.

A friend gave me this flatbed from a 1940 Chev big truck. I took it apart, had it sandblasted and narrowed it 7 1/2". Now building a trailer for the dragster out of it. Will keep it looking like a 1950's trailer as much as possible and still have it meet safety regulations.

Last edited:
Trailer1002.jpg

The frame is complete, There are 2 1/2" by 4" frame rails under the Chevy flatbed. everything is welded together so it should be pretty strong.

TrailerReady001.jpg

Took the trailer for a test pull today. It goes to Jerry the Sandblaster tomorrow for a little more cleanup and a coat of epoxy primer. The ramps store up the middle of the trailer in slides made from formed angle iron.

TrailerReady002.jpg

The 8 foot long ramps are gripstrut with some metal reinforcement added. The plywood deck is 1 -1/4" thick and stained and varnished. It will get different tires & wheels.

I've been wondering what you were up to on the dragster, Bob. Great looking trailer and it will fit the look of the racer too. I guess you won't be racing at the HAMB drags as they require a stick tranny, I understand, or is that not correct?

Don

Don, I could race there, just not in the HA/GR class. The rest of the racing is merely time trials with cars in the same "group" running against each other. There really isn't any formal eliminations except in the HA/GR class. You are right, I won't be there, but not for that reason.
I'm finding that there is no greater pleasure for me than being in the garage, building stuff. Sometimes I have a hard time stopping to go to a show or rod run. I rather be building a drag car (or trailer) than racing one. Man, there's something wrong with me!

TrailerAgain001.jpg

Put the decking on the trailer today. 54 carriage bolts. It has 2 layers of plywood; 3/4" and 1/2" so it should be strong enough. It is painted with Rustoleum Hammered finish silver. Looks like the paint used on file cabinets.
The perimiter frame and crossmembers are from a '40 Chevy flatbed truck, narrowed to fit the dragster.

Last edited:
TrailerAgain003.jpg

This is a single axle, unsprung trailer. And pretty light weight. It is sized just for the dragster and the total weight of dragster and trailer should be well under 3,000 lbs. Makes getting a license for the trailer quite easy.
The bottom side of the decking is oil primed and painted with Rustoleum gloss black. The top side is stained Brazilian Rosewood and has 3 coats of outdoor urethane on it. So I hope the wood will hold up for quite a few years.
I really wanted to put some vintage tail lights on it but thought the better of it and will have DOT approved trailer lights all around. Want to keep the Law happy.
(Another pic on the previous page)

Last edited:
Scale001.jpg

The local Target store was selling bathroom scales for $7.99. I bought four of them to weigh the dragster and the trailer I recently built. Trailer weighs 903 lbs. Dragster weighs 1,544 lbs.

I never got to run the thing this season. Too many obligations and family events this year. I should get the better engine together this winter.

Don, Just two bathrooms in the house and one behind the garage "under the stars".:D

Latest posts

Back