cheap alarm system

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exador

Here I go again. Another thing from yesteryear.

In the early 60`s we were proud of our cars. No matter what they were. We done our best with what we had or could get your hands on. Theft was as is today, low life's.

Someone came up with an alarm system. Now to make this you needed ingenuity and shade tree ability. Some so may need to cypher things out. If you were really hot stuff you had a triple or dual carb setup. You were in big time then. These were high theft items so we done everything to protect them.

One way was a chain bolted to hood and padlocked to frame. Bolt cutters made short order with these. Another was an audible alarm system. A car horn was used. Most of us used a 6 volt horn even if we had a 12 volt system. A toggle switch, 2 6 volt flashlight batteries, and a couple broken hack saw blades.

Batts were hooked together to make 12 volt. Mount car horn in a difficult place. Mount so as to insulate the base and everything so as not to be grounded. Hide batts up under the dash or wherever. Run wire to horn to hot post. Put in toggle switch to turn on or off. On the hood use broken saw blades as the switch. Switch will activate thru grounding. Faster a small piece of leather belt to hood , short piece. Put belt between blade and body of car. Then run grnd wire to blade switch and grnd to horn base.

If hood opens, belt comes out, horn goes off. Now the toggle switch will turn off until resetting blade, leather switch.

Quite possible I forget a few things. But if you can build a rod this cheap alarm is a cinch.

Two sticks of TNT under the drivers seat wired to a hidden toggle switch works great. You just have to remember to flip the switch when YOU enter ! :eek::eek:

Don

I made mine out of the light switch in the door just hook a horn to it instead of the interior light and the toggle switch out side someplace to activate ... only thing is if you shut the door back it will shut off .. but if they dont know this maybe they will run off ..

My father put one of these door switches on the license plate that folded down to put your gas in the tank . back in the 70s people were bad on steeling gas . so my Dad hooked this alarm up so we would know if they were steeling our gas at night.. well we were going down the road one day and something happen to the switch , and the horn went to blowing ,,, I jumped up and looked out the back window (we didnt wear seat belts back then ) to see who was steeling our gas ,,, my Dad always remembered that , he laughed about that a good bit .. I miss my Dad , he could come up with some good ideas .

Back when scrap was so high people were stealing older model pickups and having them crushed first thing in morning before you could get cops looking.
So I chained my 1982 pickup to a couple front porch posts every night.
I figured if someone backed up in a hurry and stole it,I would here porch fall and could chase them down with car.
A little extreme,but I love my pickup!:D

I wouldn't call my set up an alarm so much as an anti-theft device(s)

It's a 3 step deal: remote battery cut off switch with key hidden in trunk.
Hidden elec. fuel pump switch
Keyed brake lock.

I figure if they get to the point of finding the battery keyed switch and bypassing it, they'll get great joy in hearing it start after they hot wire it. Then as they are trying figure out why/how the brakes are locked up it'll empty the float bowls and then they run the battery down trying to get it restarted if they hung around that long.

My ex father inlaw, now deceased, said he hooked a Model T coil up to his Model A as an anti-theft device. Said if you touched the car it would shock the bejezzus out of you. Had to jump on the running board to get into the car. Don't know if their was any truth to it because he was usually full of s--t.

Model T coil

Many years ago I worked at a Mercury dealership where the parts manager used a Model T coil to keep mechanics from hanging around the parts counter. Coil hooked to metal parts counter with coil, battery, and a foot switch under his desk. When a mechanic hung around too long leaning on counter he would tap the switch. Worked every time.

steering wheel

At a recent cruzin I noticed a friend had the steering wheel removed. As he was setting near by with steering on ground I ask about the wheel being removed. He grins real big and say,:ya can`t steal it that way".

All this time I thought wheel removal was for ease of entering and exit, foolish me.

At a recent cruzin I noticed a friend had the steering wheel removed. As he was setting near by with steering on ground I ask about the wheel being removed. He grins real big and say,:ya can`t steal it that way".

All this time I thought wheel removal was for ease of entering and exit, foolish me.

Bought an old truck once, had to drag it home, didn't have a steering wheel on it so I clamped a pair of vise grips to the shaft worked like a charm. :D

Latest posts

Back