hoist

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MercuryMac

Builder Junky!
I got a new four post hoist a while ago and I'm now, putting it in the shop. It's slow going but I can't blame the hoist for that.
It is a little bit wider than I though so it takes up a lot of real estate, but I'm going to enjoy it anyhow.
Now we also have a mezzanine over the welding bench, but the structure was really for supporting the roof arches right there. There were two that had cracked because of horrible snow load a few years ago.
Pretty soon I'll get back to building hotrods, honest.

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 92
I remember when i had a lift, life was easier back then :D
That will make working on your hot rods more fun [cl

i remember going to irpops house and using his to work on my stuff
god it makes SUCH a difference!
do stuff in minutes that would take all day scooting around on your back cussin

I'm with you there Billy. You finally get slid a way under your car and your nose is temporarily bent on the driveshaft, and if you move kinda' quickly to avoid squirting oil or sparks, well then your nose is bent permanently. I turns out that when my head is sideways on the floor looking for a problem, then my eyes are one on top each other and my perception is skewed. :confused: I need my eyes on a horizontal plane. I need a hoist...
My trick to getting a hoist is treating Mrs. Mac really nicely for a while and she'll round up the kids and talk them into all getting me a hoist. :D:D
Thank you guys, for the good vibes.

lift location

When I built my 40 X 120 ft shop I put the 2 post lift back 50 ft from the front door on one side. the problem is with my projectsd and my kids projects it is sometimes too hard to move things to be able to use it. I should have had 2 12 x 12 doors on the street side with the lift just inside with a little bit of work room around it. Then we took back my wife;s farm up north and don't spend much time back at my old farmstead,300 miles south.I plan on going down for a few weeks after chruistmas, MY sons will be there for a while and I will be teaching 3 grand kids the Boy Scout Merit Badge for Welding. Lincoln Welding sells all the precut pieces they need , but the shipping costs as much as the steel.

Woow, 300 miles from your shop, bad vibes. If you had to take the farm back that means someone didn't pay so that is bad too.
I haven't tried to sell my farm but I rent it out and have to find new renters once in a while.

Hoist update. She up and running.
I was pretty slow, what with Christmas, getting a nasty cold, and stumbling onto a really good set of books to read, the whole shop thing faded for me.
I tested the hoist empty today.
Oh ya, I'm reading the Steig Larrson books right now.

Attachments

• IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Well, you would have a lot more room in there if you didn't keep cluttering it up with all those cool old cars you have stashed in the background ! [dr[dr[dr

Don

Remember the old center post air over oil hoist? They were scary! Got my start in the 70's with those. Worked many places up into the 90's before I ever saw a 2 post hoist.
I remember an old timer once told me back in the 70's "don't worry, when they brake they fall pretty slow". I always used my safety post!

Well Don, I'm starting to agree with my wife that I shouldn't buy that many more projects. Those that are in the shop are only the tip of the iceberg.

Offr, yes I remember those one post hoists. They sure blocked your reach anywhere around the transmission. Yuck.

Latest posts

Back