The end of Indy Cars

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

It's official, in 2022 Indycar is going to hybrids. Think about that for a minute. Indycars, once the place where factory and independent mechanics invoked all their ideas into screaming gas burning engines to win a 500 mile race of endurance and speed, will now be powered by hybrids. Small gas engines and electric motors and batteries. Electric motors. Quiet electric motors. And probably lawnmower sized gas engines to power the electric batteries. What the heck is the world coming to?

Sure, they will still be fast, maybe even faster than they are now. But it won't be the same. I've heard there is nothing like being at the track during a race and hearing the scream of the gas engines at full throttle go roaring by you. But after 2021, that will be gone. It'll probably sound more like a bunch of flat out go carts instead of a Indycar.

Indy used to be the place for innovation, think Cummins with their diesel race cars in the 40's, the NOVI's that never won but had their own distinctive sound like a cat screaming at the moon, the quiet whoosh of the STP turbine cars in the 60's. Stock engines massaged to an inch of their life as well as full out custom designed racing engines, Indy was once the hotbed of performance that all others strived to compare to. But rules changes in the last 20 or 30 years have limited them to one or two accepted engines, thus limiting those innovations to just a few. Maybe going to hybrids is just another step up the ladder. Personally, I don't think so. I think it will kill Indy cars. Attendance may be good for a few races, then the novelty will wear off, and the crowds will drop.

I think this will be the end of Indy cars.

Can NASCAR and NHRA be far behind? I hope not.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/indycar...hybrid-in-2022

Wow, I would imagine the sound would be the best part. Sad to hear, I bet they will be pushing all motor spoets that way

Innovation is dead...

18n9u4f4cf8xxjpg.jpg

I have more to say, but it's late, I'm tired and going to bed. See ya tomorrow...

I also hate to see things like that happen but fact is our planet is dying and pollution will be less and less accepted by young generations. Sure one can argue about the effects of this versus airplanes or big factories but you need small rocks to start rolling to get an avalanche going.
I love the sound, feel and smell of big engines ,but my gut feeling says changes are going way too slow.

I also hate to see things like that happen but fact is our planet is dying and pollution will be less and less accepted by young generations. Sure one can argue about the effects of this versus airplanes or big factories but you need small rocks to start rolling to get an avalanche going.
I love the sound, feel and smell of big engines ,but my gut feeling says changes are going way too slow.

I don't want this to turn into a political pizz fight, but I gotta disagree, the planet is NOT dying. There may be some changes going on, but change is a constant thing that has been going on forever. Man didn't make this earth, and he can't destroy it. Don't listen to the chicken little types that say the sky is falling, they can't predict the future anymore than I can make it snow in Texas in July. Nothing wrong with cleaning up things that are damaging, but going back to a life in the stone ages as some would have us do won't accomplish anything.

I dont believe in electric. Hydrogen is the way to go imo.
Bama ,I dont want to turn to politics. We dont agree.

I see all these estimates about when only electric cars will be available... sorry... can't go there! I love to hear my V8 with Flowmaster 40's rumble!

BoB

I see all these estimates about when only electric cars will be available... sorry... can't go there! I love to hear my V8 with Flowmaster 40's rumble!

BoB

Agreed tripper

Have you guys seen tue electric hot rod him Allen is building?? He said hes in talks of building a sound board for it cause he cant stand the quietness of the electric

Indy used to be enjoyable to watch. I'm talking like pre 1975.:eek: :D
Now it's just 500 miles of the same cars all turning left.[ddd
Things change. Go with the flow or end up like the dinosaurs.......:)
Torchie

Indy used to be enjoyable to watch. I'm talking like pre 1975.:eek: :D
Now it's just 500 miles of the same cars all turning left.[ddd
Things change. Go with the flow or end up like the dinosaurs.......:)
Torchie

I'm gonna keep watch'n Indy. First race I watched was 1969. We know who won that year. As far as electric, will it roast the tires. [S :D

Electric cars are being shoved down our throats. I just read about a VW diesel in 2013. It was cleaner than electric at 170 to 236 mpg. Our own government shut it down.

Electric cars are being shoved down our throats. I just read about a VW diesel in 2013. It was cleaner than electric at 170 to 236 mpg. Our own government shut it down.

My buddy has one of the v-dub diesel that was in that big scandal how about them fooling the emission system tests. He removed all the emissions bull crap on it and literally doubled the fuel mileage. He gets 84 miles to the gallon driving back and forth to work on the freeway. I have seen it

Latest posts

Back