Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Traditional Style Hot Rods

Traditional Style Hot Rods A general and broad section about "Traditional Style" rods!

Old 10-31-2015, 09:10 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'm not 100% sure but I think on the earlier engine with the vee belts the timing chain cover that the water pump bolts to is different from the later one that has the serpentine set up. Also I think that the harmonic ballancers may be ballanced differently because the engines are ballanced with different flywheels and also have different firing orders.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:52 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowbilly3 View Post
Well, whatever you get, get it ALL from the same donor vehicle. It's a nightmare trying to piece a system together on a Ford.
So true! Three bolt balancer on 28 oz balance engines, 4 bolt balancer on 50 oz balance, and there may even be exceptions to that. Water pump pulleys are different according to application, last 302 I did I used a 200 I6 waterpump pulley spaced out 1/4" just to get things to line up. Early and late waterpump pulleys don't always interchange either, the early ones are larger and will hit the crank pulley on late engines.

And not all serpentine systems use a reverse rotation water pump. Some used a standard rotation, with the serpentine belt driving the water pump and alternator, and another serpentine belt driving the power steering and AC. And some were a hybrid system, with a V belt on PS and AC, serpentine on waterpump and alternator.

Confusing for sure!

If your engine is indeed a 88, unless it was changed it will have a reverse rotation water pump. Some say you can simply change to a standard pump, some say you will have to change timing covers. I had an 85 302 from a Tbird, it had a standard water pump, but no place for a dipstick or fuel pump on the timing cover. So, I'm not sure even that is a way to tell a newer rwp timing cover from an old standard wp one.

So, we're back to Willobilly's advice, get everything from the same donor! All the way down to the timing cover. You will be able to keep more hair that way!