Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Interior Q&A, photos etc!

Interior Q&A, photos etc! Stuff for the interior! Seats, dashes, flooring, door panels... you name it!!!

Old 03-14-2016, 01:44 AM

Default Seat question, pics, inspiration required

I'm at a loss with a seat for the Buick. I'm thinking of making a fixed seat back similar to majority of vintage cars. Has anyone built one from scratch? Our laws also stipulate it has to have "padded upholstery" and a "padded seatbase". I don't give a rats nono about the covering but some pics of seatbacks would be appreciated

Last edited by MACKAZ; 03-14-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKAZ View Post
I'm at a loss with a seat for the Buick. I'm thinking of making a fixed seat back similar to majority of vintage cars. Has anyone built one from scratch? Our laws also stipulate it has to have "padded upholstery" and a "padded seatbase". I don't give a rats nono about the covering but some pics of seatback a would be appreciated
I've seen homebuilt seats done different ways. Starting with a sheet of plywood for the base, you can just cover it with a good thick layer of foam, and then upholster. The method I would do it cut out the areas where you would sit so there's a big hole in the middle of your plywood (or MDF). Then create a weave pattern using nylon webbing, cover that with batting and foam, and upholster.

If you search google with different terms (try Model A homebuilt seat) you'll find plenty of pictures.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:18 PM

Default Custom rat rod bench seat and back

hello
I went with a streamline design in my 32 Woodie , 3/4 plywood padded bench seat and padded back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0390.jpg (127.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-18-2017, 11:17 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

How much room do you have to play with? I am using a 3rd row seat out of a Chevy Suburban. Its 48 inches wide. Fits perfectly in my 39 Ford PU. They come in cloth or leather in several colors. I paid about $50 for this one, and the same for a leather one that is nicer, but a bit thicker. I need the space more than the leather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat.jpg (102.9 KB, 12 views)

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.