37 toy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update.........
Carb had to be sent back to Jegs. Broken when it got here. This set me back on where I wanted to be, but oh well, lots more to do.
I now have fabbed the grill shell to fit the new radiator I traded for. I got the Vega steering box on the frame and mounted the radiator. I found a set of block hugger ceramic coated headers in a previous trade I had made and forgot I had. Not really the look I was going for, but they were here and paid for. Guess they will work for now. I am waiting on steering arms to come in. I had two other sets, but neither fit this set of spindles and cross steer. I also started on a grill insert and hope to finish it tomorrow after church since school starts for me Monday. Thanks fellows for keeping up with me on this one.

Attachments

• radiator.jpg
    radiator.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 52
  • new grill and radiator.jpg
    new grill and radiator.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 54
  • grill insert 1.jpg
    grill insert 1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 53
I got boredafter church and went out and finished the grill insert. not much, but every little bit gets me closer.[;)

Attachments

• finished grill.jpg
    finished grill.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 36
ok.... update time. I finally got the front end spindles on and drag link installed. Vega box is now mounted and the cross steer arm is in place.
I fired the little darling up and run her for 20-22 minutes at 16-1700 rpm to break it in and let it cool on its own in the shop. While i was waiting for cool down, i decided to channel the cab 5 inches over the frame. It actually turned out to be 4 1/2 after rubber mounts and attachment, but it looks much better. I got the doors to swing properly and they seem to be spot on for now. I still have lots to do but at least i can see some progress. It sure seems harder to do some of these things by my self than it used to.
Tell me what yu guys think now and i promise i won't get mad. [cl [cl

Attachments

• rat channeled 001 - Copy.jpg
    rat channeled 001 - Copy.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 57
  • rat channeled 002 - Copy.jpg
    rat channeled 002 - Copy.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 48
Looking good, you'll be driving in no time.
After the wife's first ride she'll get love it. [S or she'll join my wife with the "when you know what freeze over" :D
The engine turned out great, nothing like being blown :eek:

I hope to get more done in the next few days. My evenings are getting shuffled to teach a group of youngsters how to play golf. Oh well. kids are worth it I guess

Well it has been a while, but I have been trying to get some done on her.
I crossed a major milestone and finally got the title in hand. Title 42 and all clear and legal begal now.
I had slowed down just in case of a SNAFU, but when it came in, I started back up. I got the steering column out of a 89 Ford pickup and got it mounted. I am in the process of trying to wire it to the key/column now. I got a new trans cooler mounted under the little darling and I also ct a dash panel from some 16ga. to mount the gauges in. Brakes got plumbed with new lines/ master cyl and booster and they are now adjusted. It seems like all I am doing is not very noticeable to the untrained eye{the wife} and I just keep trying to keep the list of things to do on her trimmed when I can mark one off. Sorry for no pics, but I thought an update was needed to at least let me see that you guys can believe in me even if my lovely wife can't vision it. Thanks for looking. [P

It must be something that women are born with. Most of them just don't get it. Gotta love em tho!

Hang in there and keep beating on it.

Just a short update because it has been a while.
I have now gotten all of the brakes adjusted and working great. I have all of the steering and column mounted and adjusted properly. I am using a ford column from an 89 f150 because that is what I had at the shop. Now comes the fun part of wiring the entire thing. I am using a universal fuse block [thanks again POPS] and the switch and signals in the column. My biggest complaint is trying to find a good wire diagram for the ford column. Chevy is easy to find but for some reason I cant find one for dummies for the ford.
I got the battery box mounted and battery secured in the frame that will be in the bed corner and new cable ran to the starter. Power tot he fuse box and an inkling of what goes where. Now time to run a few wires.
I have a set of s/w gauges that I am going to put into a custom dash panel when I find time to fab one up. Progress is slow,but at lesast I am gaining ground. School about out and I can hit it hard and heavy for a bit and maybe make a showing on her. I will try and get pics soon to verify the "hear say". Thanks for keeping me encouraged. [cl

Ok, as promised..... more pics.
Now, before I start, I have to apologize...........when title work all done and numbers ran to fit, the little darling is a 1939 chevy truck. Please forgive me and the mistake[for those of you counting, there will probably be more].
With that said here is the update.
I got the bed built and put on and I fabbed a tailgate. I got one fender on and the other well under way. The dash now has gauges fit and will be wired in a day or three [medical procedures with wife and shop doors are closed due to lack of time] I also installed the sound deadener [roof patch material much like dynomat]. I have gotten a little further on the wiring and have a harness ran to the rear with wiring for all lights on that end. I also mounted a vacuum canister to ensure enough for the brakes due to the blower [just a precaution because I ain't real sure of how it works pushing instead of pulling]. My over all plan is to get lights on the back and more wires connected to the front by weekend, but who knows what to expect with her heart catheter procedure. Please pray for the wifey because she is much more important than the mistress ride in the shop.

Attachments

• rat progress 024.jpg
    rat progress 024.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 23
  • rat progress 027.jpg
    rat progress 027.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 25
  • rat fender 001.jpg
    rat fender 001.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 27
First off our prayers go out to your wife.
Second, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one making mistakes. I was thought the 39 had a lever for the interior door latch instead of the slide knob so I would have thought 36, 37 too.
Lookin good on the build.

Praying for you and your bride brother. We both know yall are in good hands.
Stay strong. Some things in life just aren't fun at all.

Latest posts

Back