Nova 63 ls swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Iron

We started on a LS swap on a 1963 Nova
This little ride had a 283 with a Muncie 4 speed. The 62-63 cars only had a 194 cubic inch 6 cylinder in them from the factory. This one was a three speed on the column.
The donor is a 2014 Camaro 426 hp 6.2 LS with a Tremec TR6060 manual 6 speed.
The engine and tranny are a complete pull out from this car.
We took the front end off the Nova and installed a complete aftermarket stub with Mustang ll suspension, power rack, 2" drop spindles and drilled and slotted rotors.
First thing we had to do was, cut out the tranny tunnel because the Tremec is so much bigger than the Muncie 4 speed that was in the car.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 74
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 74
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 78
Iron,
I put a MII clip on my '62 Nova with a power rack. It was too much & I had to remove the power assist... it was too twitchy. It would change lanes if you as much as sneezed! There are units that are adjustable... my wasn't! It stills handles just fine without assist but that's just my experience. And the MII clip made it handle like a slot car!

I'll definitely be following!!!

BoB

Attachments

• menova.jpg
    menova.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 19
Iron,
I put a MII clip on my '62 Nova with a power rack. It was too much & I had to remove the power assist... it was too twitchy. It would change lanes if you as much as sneezed! There are units that are adjustable... my wasn't! It stills handles just fine without assist but that's just my experience. And the MII clip made it handle like a slot car!

I'll definitely be following!!!

BoB

my 50 Chevy has a bit of a touchy steering feel with the power rack also. I just got use to it.

also be watching!

They sell a reducer that goes in the pressure port of the ps pump to make it less sensitive. The problem lies in the fact that most pumps put out more pressure than the rack needs. I know Speedway sells it, others probably do, too.

I know what you're saying about twitchy.
This rack is set up for a GM pump. Yours may have been also Tripper.
If it acts up I'll add a lot of caster and if it still acts up I'll change it out for him.

Back many days ago when I was in school, a buddy had the same setup you're removing in a 62. That boy was good at setting up his runs in the bracket races and took many faster cars...it was a sweet ride. Black outside and in.

Awesome project - I'll be following this one for sure!
Although I haven't driven my truck yet, everything I read said that the GM pump and the Ford rack don't get along, so I installed the flow reducer right from the start.

Really cool project OI, I'll be following a long. Back in 75 in Ft Mac one of the guys at the Sunoco station had a 62 with a 396 and 4 speed. :D

please tell me they are keeping the super skinny 14s. [cl[cl[cl[cl

No but he is using 15" wheels and tires. I'll post pics of them

Awesome project - I'll be following this one for sure!
Although I haven't driven my truck yet, everything I read said that the GM pump and the Ford rack don't get along, so I installed the flow reducer right from the start.

Yes, the GM pump has too much pressure, this rack already had the modification done to it.

Really cool project OI, I'll be following a long. Back in 75 in Ft Mac one of the guys at the Sunoco station had a 62 with a 396 and 4 speed. :D

I bet it ran well. In '73 I had a '62 with a 300 hp 327 400 turbo and a friend had a '62 his had a 396 with 400 turbo.

Here's the rear wheels and tires the fronts are the same only they're 4.5 x 15"
We will lower the back 3 if not 4" from what you see here.

attachment.php

This is a pic of the front except with a different wheel and the tire is bigger than the 195 that will be used. I'll get a pic of that posted too.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 37
If the current 350 in my Nova ever goes south I wanna replace it with an LS motor. Please share what headers you find that will fit. The ones on my current motor are so tight I can't change spark plugs without loosening the headers!

BoB

Latest posts

Back