Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 02-04-2016, 10:08 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default `54/`90 shop truck / bike hauler

Got started on a new project for one of my customers this week.
The company I build this truck for specializes in building reproduction and custom frames for H.D. motorcycles.
A few yrs ago they purchased a bare `54 Chevy p.u body and a `90 silverado with intensions to transform the both into a cool hot/ratrod kinda bike hauler. As yrs went by, nothing happened and after building them some bike related sheetmetal ,the question popped if I would build it for them... I really had to take some time to decide wether or not I would do it, so after 2seconds, I said ok. It`s not necessarily how I would build it if it were mine, but I`ll try to build something nice within my customer`s wishes.

I`m going to work about 15 hrs a week on this truck so it will probably take a while to see some smoking tires.

So, something different here... no S10, but full size frame swap I googled a lot but wasn`t able to find a much info on the subject so I`m just going to start and see what I run into. It will be wide fo sure

The `90 was stripped to the frame and Last Monday I started installing new front suspension parts, still waiting on a few parts so I hope to get it back on wheels tomorrow. They want to keep the frame most stock to ensure a decent ride and good towing. The rear suspension will be replaced with airride to be able to drop it when loading bikes. Engine will be the stock or maybe little warmed over `90 350. Once back on wheels, the engine will be put on the frame for test fitting the cab. I will leave as little room as possible between hood and engine and drop the cab as far as it will go and go from there...

Smaller sheetmetal parts have been dipped and are in real good shape, exept for the rear fenders....toast and bondo all the way. The cab was supposed to be dipped also but it would fit the bathtub..... the idiots at that company tried to push it in anyway resulting in a huge dent in the back side of the cab

It`s at the blaster`s now but he`s a busy man, so I hope to get started on the sheetmetal by the end of next week or so.
so, probably a fun, but slow project

Old 02-04-2016, 06:58 PM
The Hot Rod Cop

I'll tag along. The 50 GMC in my sig is on a 1990 C1500 frame. Only thing I would do differently next time is I would stand the radiator up straight instead of leaning it back.

"people riding so many scooters on the country mountain roads it looks like Thailand." Yodaforce

"all the ones I find around here are as solid as tin foil....." Neverdone

Giffins Performance custom CNC plasma cutting, home of the LSX swaps!

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build
Old 02-04-2016, 07:02 PM
''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''

Thumbs up watch

curious to see how the cab/bed fits on the wider frame/chassis.

background rods: have we seen the whole cars of the grille/headlites poking out on the 2 in hiding?

Later

1928 maxwell hybrid build/drag car
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37455

1948 dodge truck in deceased son's memory.
http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/sho...odge+truck+son

1930 2dr mopar.
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthr...ht=30+mopar+dr
Old 02-04-2016, 08:40 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'll be doing a 1 1/2 ton 53 Ad Chevy to a 3500 4WD Chevy dually later this summer.
Build on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2016, 02:32 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull View Post

curious to see how the cab/bed fits on the wider frame/chassis.

background rods: have we seen the whole cars of the grille/headlites poking out on the 2 in hiding?

Later
that`s @ the blaster`s... They used to be a father & son company, doing media blasting and restorations ,Peugeot only. The son emigrated and dad still does some blasting. There are still a few cars sitting around that they started work on, but not finished. The one in the pic is a Peugeot 203 pick up (I think)
Old 02-05-2016, 04:16 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Will be watching as well

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:43 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

finally got the cab back from blasting. Not half bad at all.... floors were toast, rear corners were solid bitumen roofing, building foam , newspaper and bondo.
Anyways... not much the plasma cutter and BFH won`t handle.
I have the sills sitting level with the underside of the frame and this will probably the final height. The long wb of the c1500 will be problematic with all speed bumps we have here if I drop it more.. Still need to move it forward a bit but the e-brake cable bracket was in the way and it was time to quit for the day.
The fenders will be widened 4" per side, and the owner is considering duallies for the rear

back at it on Monday....
Old 02-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Looking real good Dutch

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

My former daily driver was a 1950 panel that sat on an unmodified GMC Sierra 1/2 ton -4 wheel drive chassis.
The S-10 are really too narrow for the AD but they are cheap and plentiful so people use them a lot.
Not a great pic but you can see it sitting in the background.
Torchie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment-2.jpg (121.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 05:17 PM
The Hot Rod Cop

Mine was a 2 ton version to start with and I think the fenders are wider than the smaller ones. Mine clears an impala ss 17x9 wheel without issues. Of course the wheel arch is way to big for the diameter of the tire...

"people riding so many scooters on the country mountain roads it looks like Thailand." Yodaforce

"all the ones I find around here are as solid as tin foil....." Neverdone

Giffins Performance custom CNC plasma cutting, home of the LSX swaps!

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build