My rusty/ratty 1948 Chevrolet truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw your rig up at HRR in Bowling Green....Wow you've done a really good job. I was gonna introduce myself but the wife and kids were ready to get home with all that heat.

I just saw your rig up at HRR in Bowling Green....Wow you've done a really good job. I was gonna introduce myself but the wife and kids were ready to get home with all that heat.

Yep, the heat and humidity was rough. I think the next thing we are going to is the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville. Are you gonna be there?

I need to re-do the driveshaft before then though. Hard burnouts are taking thier toll on my slapped together 70" long driveshaft. I get a pretty good vibration over 60 mph.

We are seriously considering driving the 48 to the Bonneville Salt Flats for Speed Week! .....leave the street rod nationals and head west.

It will be around a 4,000 miles round trip.

I have to do some work in the next month if it is going to happen. I need to figure out how to install a bigger radiator and get rid of the vibration I have at highway speeds (driveshaft related I think).

Have you tried re-balancing the driveshaft ?

Looking forward to seeing in person this year.

Have you tried re-balancing the driveshaft ?

Looking forward to seeing in person this year.

It has a visible wobble of maybe a 1/4 inch.

It was a quicky job to get to Louisville last year :mad: I need to build another one. This one is way too long for the diameter. If I remember right, its over 70 inches long. I need to do another one that has a center support bearing.

That already happened a couple of weeks ago. Next up for the Blugrass is the NSRA Nationals in Louisville. Will have both of ours there.

Got a drivesfaft installed...much better. Still have a small vibration. ...gonna try rebalancing the tires.

Also ordered a new radiator. Howe racing 23x21x3 aluminum. Should do a way better job than the toyota mini-truck radiator.

Here is a pic of the current set-up.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 88
The big new aluminum radiator is about 75% installed.

I had to modify my previous mounting brackets for the thicker radiator.

IMG_0157-1.jpg

And move the mounting location for the grill supports

IMG_0158-1.jpg

And section the heck out of the hood latch piece. I added 2 3/4 inches and had to clearance for the filler cap. Not completely happy/done yet.

IMG_0165-2.jpg

I also added a cap to the top to hide the radiator and retain the fan.

IMG_0161-1.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

Last edited:
Really like the Bedazzled fenders! :D That radiator install looks like it was one thing after another.

Every time I look at this thread, I have to go back and look at the old pics you posted. Still think those rims are a great choice - real stand out.

Really like the Bedazzled fenders! :D That radiator install looks like it was one thing after another.

Every time I look at this thread, I have to go back and look at the old pics you posted. Still think those rims are a great choice - real stand out.

The fender screws are no longer bright and shinny. They look like they have been there 40 years now.

Got it together enough to drive yesterday. Man, that Howe radiator can get rid of some heat! It does an excellent job of cooling the water. The downside is I now have what feels like 10 times the hot air getting blown back towards the cab....some of it is finding its way into the cab.

This radiator came with instructions to run a 22-24lb radiator cap. I have a 20lb cap on it now (what I had at the house). The radiator hoses swell up big time. Will a standard hose take this abuse?

You may have a problem with that much pressure build up. Most standard cooling systems are no more than 16psi. May want to check with Howe on hose recommendations. Either that or try a 16psi cap. I would imagine the 22-24psi is for a racing application.

Truck did fine. Dad drove to my house in Franklin, KY and then we commuted back and forth to Louisvile each day (130 miles each way).

I have to do something to get rid of the underhood heat though. My cool looking headers are hindering air flow out of the engine compartment. Right now, i'm thinking about installing vents in the fenderwells and letting the hot air go out the fenders.

Excellent job on the radiator/fan mount! I had a 66 big block Chevelle that had a serious problem with heat getting inside. Cool car but miserable in the summer in the midwest.

Latest posts

Back