My rusty/ratty 1948 Chevrolet truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that answers my second question! Tire size. I guess you would need to tuck them if they are that far up in the wheel well. Hadn't considered that part of the equation.

Well that answers my second question! Tire size. I guess you would need to tuck them if they are that far up in the wheel well. Hadn't considered that part of the equation.

Rear tires are 275/55/20 in case you were wondering about those.

The old truck handles and brakes pretty darn good with that much tire.

In my opinion, you need a whole lot of tire on the rear to make the flatbed look right. I've seen flatbeds with smaller tires and the proportions aren't as good. ...at least to me.

I'd like to see one done with stock 2 ton rear end, wheels, and tires.

15's?
IMG_0044-1.jpg

17's?
121108007.jpg

Last edited:
Fixed the massive oil leak. When dad installed the oil pan, he guessed wrong on which rubber piece he should use for the front. He used a thin one when he should have picked the thick one....and didn't use any permatex at all.

When ever we would hit the brakes, the oil would slosh forward and gush out between the pan and the timing cover. What a mess!

Got everything cleaned cleaned up and the right gaskets installed. No more leak....but man that was a pain to do in the truck. The oil pan couldn't clear the frame crossmember. It had to be done with the pan just dangling.

This is what I have to work with. This pic is circa 1983? ish. Still have the truck though. I think I would even leave the crane. Maybe drop the whole thing and shorten the bed to about 8'. it is a 12' bed now. [;)

Attachments

• giffins_gmc_truck.jpg
    giffins_gmc_truck.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 53
This is what I have to work with. This pic is circa 1983? ish. Still have the truck though. I think I would even leave the crane. Maybe drop the whole thing and shorten the bed to about 8'. it is a 12' bed now. [;)

Sounds like a plan.

I'd Z the frame in the rear some (not sure how much) to mimic the S-10 frame kick-up.

hey I meant to ask if you had any shots up under the cab? How close was the S10 frame to the body mounts? Also, what was the S10 before ie: reg cab, ext cab? Just curious. I have a 50 GMC 2 1/2 ton that I am not sure if I am going to use as a car hauler or put it into a street rod. Thanks in advance!

I remembered to snap some pics under the truck.

rearmost cab mount on passenger side
IMG_0011-1.jpg

center cab mount. yes that is oil on the outside of the frame rail! I had one hell of an oil leak ! ! ! !
IMG_0012-1.jpg

front cab mount
IMG_0013-2.jpg

all 3 from the rear
IMG_0015-1.jpg

Brakes, wiring and fender braces

IMG_0019-1.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

rear wiring bundle goes to the dash, forward goes to headlights/turn signals/cooling fan. ...and parking brake cable.

IMG_0023-1.jpg

and the front sheetmetal mount
IMG_0025-1.jpg

cool, thanks. The mounts are simple and effective. Now i'm at a loss as to what i want to do with the truck. I do want to drag it up from the woods so I can start doing something on it before winter. It has been in the family since cali in '78.

cool, thanks. The mounts are simple and effective. Now i'm at a loss as to what i want to do with the truck. I do want to drag it up from the woods so I can start doing something on it before winter. It has been in the family since cali in '78.

If it has been in the family that long, I wouldn't hack it to bits. Maybe a healthy lowering job and a moderm powerplant.

I was in Memphis this weekend and took the truck out Saturday afternoon/night. Me and my son drove around downtown Memphis checking out the scenery and then went and hung out on Summer Ave until after midnight.......good times.

man o man i like your truck! it looks cool, and fun to drive! im looking for a project now, and im leaning toward one like yours! later, brian

I just like taking pics of the truck. From this past weekend.

I'm a second generation flatbed owner....dad's toyota was first!

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

I have enjoyed this thread and learned alot. There may be an S10 in my future, got another cab w/title sitting outside.

Made it to Frog follies for the third time. Dad didn't make it because of his leg. He still has another 5 weeks before he is supposed to be walking on it. Wife and kids went in his place.

Truck now has over 6,600 miles on it

140a.jpg

Went to the Delta River Cruisin' at Samstown Casinio in Tunica, MS this past weekend. It was a pretty nice show. Being able to go to a car show and have good food that close by is nice.

The lighting made my front wheels look huge.

DSC_0076.jpg

Latest posts

Back