Ok. can I glue a top in

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthebigdog

I was wondering, can I glue a top in a 32 studebaker with a quality metal to metal glue or should I just take a couple of days and weld it in and finish it smooth. It is just a passing thought due to the new technology out there and I didnt really want to weld it in. Please dont shun me for this ? but educated input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

If you get the fabric/vinyl that has the foam on the back you can use a spray can of 3M fabric/upholstery adhesive to glue it on.
This stuff is tough and won't turn loose.

Just my thoughts not from exp.

I would be worried about the shrink and stretch from the sun on the metal . I do realize that a lot of body panels are being glued on in factory's but they leave a seam like on late model cab corners . So if you use one of those rediculous expensive 3m panel glue guns and leave a seam for stretch and shrink I would think it would be fine . But if you plan to smooth it in I'd be worried and have heard stories of even welded ones showing waves where they where welded after setting in the sun all day . Just my thoughts . Not a pro just a hobbyist that has never tried gluing. So don't give up cause of me.

thanks fellows for the input. I decided to weld it in and will finish it smooth. If it gets wavy, I have the option of padding and vinyl over top to keep an original look. I was really worried about the expand and the joint, so wishme luck.

Glue?

Hey Hank. check out my build thread. I'm building a 1955 Ford COE and I'm using the glue. I've glued my left floorpan, cabcorner, and some patch panels. I like the stuff. I have Parkinsons so my tremors prohibit me from welding. But after using the glue, I would do it anyway. I've seen it tested and the metal break at 4400 lbs and the glued joint stayed intact.

I don't know about the heat and wave situation. Maybe a possibility. I just know I can't chisel it apart once it dries.

Just for what it's worth.....:D

Lynn

Just for your own info the 3M Panel Adhesive joint is stronger than the surounding metal as long as the prep is done right. No warpage from heat either. I have used the stuff to do full quarter panels in the body shop of the dealership I worked at. Great product.

find me a bedside that has been replaced and hasnt been glued on lol. get good panel bond glue, it does sand and feather, i use most glue with points of spot welding, never had a problem

Latest posts

Back