Patina question???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lineman30

Good morning friends! I'm building a 1930 model a Tudor and I started stripping the body down to bare metal and it looks awesome!!!! I want to keep it like this. Any suggestions on how to? Adhesion promoter and clear coat? I've also read about penatrol by flood company or Gibbs penatrating oil. Has anyone used these products? Which worked best for you? Thanks for the input sorry for the sideways pic! I can't figure out how to turn the thing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 34
Body looks in very good condition, can't help you with the patina, mine is bare metal and mother nature is painting it more every time it goes out side. I did help you with the picture though.

Last edited:
Don't cleat it. It WILL fail (and look terrible in the process), and then you are stripping the car again. Invest in Gibbs, Scotch-Brite pads and elbow grease. It's a lot of maintenance...

Don't cleat it. It WILL fail (and look terrible in the process), and then you are stripping the car again. Invest in Gibbs, Scotch-Brite pads and elbow grease. It's a lot of maintenance...

Lineman the body is looking good[cl

I find the scotch brite pads and a dual action sander polisher works very well [P

I've used Flood's Flood Penetrol with good results inside two cars so far.

I think, exposed to the elements you may occasionally need to reapply to some areas. It is cheap protection and a little on a rag goes a long way.

I have seen a truck with a rust and paint patina that they used Spar urethane on. I think they said it lasted about 3 years and then they would have to reapply. But it did have surface rust which will obviously work the finish off from underneath. It gave it a warm tint.

I'm with B.E.D. on not clear coating it. I think clear over patina looks disgusting myself. :p Welcome to the board L30. What are your plans for it?

Thanks for the welcome and the advice! My plans are to channel and chop it. Just finished building my frame and stripping the body while I wait for rear suspension parts to come in which is today!!!!!! Small block Chevy 350 turbo nothing crazy but raw metal!

I've used Flood's Flood Penetrol with good results inside two cars so far.

I think, exposed to the elements you may occasionally need to reapply to some areas. It is cheap protection and a little on a rag goes a long way.

I was thinking that too. Went to Home Depot but they don't sell it anymore so I have to buy online or look for another paint store in SoCal thanks for the input my friend!

I was thinking that too. Went to Home Depot but they don't sell it anymore so I have to buy online or look for another paint store in SoCal thanks for the input my friend!

Here, (Chicagoland) it's sold at Home Depot & Lowes.

Did you try:

DUNN EDWARDS
1510 Moreno Blvd
San Diego, CA 92110
(619)276-0022

~OR ~

FRAZEE PAINT
7077 Consolidated Way
San Diego, CA 92121
(858) 626-3303

~ Or Maybe ~
HILLCREST ACE HARDWARE