1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a bit done today. Started with filling in the space below the tailgate and mounting some chevy truck tail lights that I've had on the shelf for a bit. I'm almost thinking that they're too small for the car. After that, I finished up the fuel lines, put hose clamps on the coolant lines back to the radiator, and put the grill back on.

And here, you can see just how close of a tolerance I have between the coolant line and the exhaust. Which is why I have to do something different.

Not telling you what to do, but I'd raise the exhaust, then drop it outside the frame into a collector, then run it at least behind the drivers door. Diesel fumes are nasty, and you'll get tired of them pretty quick, especially if they make you sick.

If I had the space under the door to run it safely, I would. Unfortunately, I channelled the body over the frame so hard that the door sits about 1/2" off the ground with the bags deflated. I figured out how I'm going to do the exhaust, I'm going to have a single stack come up and sit right above cab height. I'm going to use a muffler that's bevel cut off of my old bug project that I sold. As far as the "header" goes, I used the torque tube from the 33chevy for the collector like early lake pipes and capped the end. I then made a flange to bolt the stack to and welded it between the body and the header. Hopefully it turns out as good as I envision it to be.

And that's all I got until Monday. Taking a trip down south tomorrow to pick up a bunch of goodies for a future build. But now, my bed is calling my name.

I think you'll be better off with the stack JB. Just so it's high enough the fumes go over the cab instead of in the window.

Exactly bama. I remember when I was in the Marines and workin on hmmwvs. We had exhaust leaks on some as they were old 998s. The drivers would get where they were going, get out looking green, and puke all over the side of the road. The fumes were coming in from the doghouse and they were uparmored so the windows wouldn't open. Diesel fumes are anything but good.

Got the exhaust finished up this morning. It sounds funny but it made me laugh way too much. Primarily cause of the ridiculousness of it but also because how mich it fits in with the rest of the car. At first, it was too tall. My eyeballing wasn't as accurate when I welded the muffler to the pipe. So I cut it down about five inches or so and now it's just perfect. We'll see how she sounds once I'm able to fire her up.

Here's the initial trial. As you can see, way too tall. Looks oddly proportioned.

And it wasn't as close to the cab as it could have been. As if the top was trying to get as far away from the cab as possible.

And this picture you can really see just how tall it was.

And cut to size. Much much better.

The top is no longer leaning way out.

And finally a view from the passenger's side.

So that's it for today, good night everyone who has "normal" schedules.

Well, I scored big today. Got a set of 4.11 gears from a local guy. If I don't use em in this car, they'll go on the shelf and wait for the next project because I have a set of 3.89s coming in. Doing the calculations, my wheels and tires with 4.11s, should put it at 3k RPM at 70MPH which is well under what my buddy does in his stock 240D Mercedes, if I remember right he said he's doing 3800 at 70.

Also ordered a lot of the stuff I needed to finish this car up today. Probably going to have a few odds and ends to order here and there but it's the major stuff I needed to keep going.

Well, two of many items came in today. Decided to go a different route with the steering wheel. Trying to tie the interior with the exterior of the truck. Also got my new welding hood. I've been eyeballing this one for a few years and finally decided to pull the trigger on it. It's almost to pretty to use, Almost.

The new steering wheel. Have to wait for the quick release adapter to come in to see how she fits but should look good.

And here's the new hood. I think I'm gonna love using it.

Decided I needed to try out my new hood. I like it a lot more than my other hood. Used some heat shields I found in the scrap bin at work, some pieces of schedule 40 pipe, and 1/8" strap to make brackets, and rivetted the shield to the header. Sort of reminds me of the barrels on an old fighter plane.

Latest posts

Back