1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was also having an issue with my MIG welder the other day, Miller 210. It would feed the wire fine and all of the sudden stop in the middle of welding. It wouldn't even spin the drive rollers that feed the wire. I called my local welding shop and they told me how to diagnose if it was a problem with the machine or the gun. Turned out the gun was bad. I bought a new Tweco gun and it welds perfect again. Just something else to look out for.

-Chris

Thanks for the tip 1952. I looked a Tweko gun and liner hose a few years ago but cheaped out and didn't buy it.

One of my other hobbies took over for a while here. I took two really old tractors to a friends shop for him to make one out of two for me. The tractors were frozen into the ground about four or five inches deep. Anyhow he's got them stripped down pretty good and I'm already having to run some parts to machine shops.

I got back to making my steering wheel. I had bought a vent stack coupler from a plumbing supply house, 5"D down to 2"D. A little chunk of it will probably hold down my horn button. I used my 1/2 inch drill as a lathe and trimmed it up. In the second shot the black 'ring' will go over the chrome piece and hold it down, hopefully.

Attachments

• IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 60
Thank you guys,----- and I haven't even started bragging yet. You see that silver painted pipe that is holding the plumbing vent stack adapter, well, that's not just a painted pipe, oh no, no. That's my homemade thread die holder. There's a three quarter inch socket welded in one end and receiver set up for the die, in the other end. When you are threading things like a U bolt you can't turn the conventional handle for the dies so I made a deep socket for those occasions. Anyhow the painted pipe just jammed into the pluming fixture and turned it so I could lathe it down.

your baby hemi 34 plymouth build

Thank you guys,----- and I haven't even started bragging yet. You see that silver painted pipe that is holding the plumbing vent stack adapter, well, that's not just a painted pipe, oh no, no. That's my homemade thread die holder. There's a three quarter inch socket welded in one end and receiver set up for the die, in the other end. When you are threading things like a U bolt you can't turn the conventional handle for the dies so I made a deep socket for those occasions. Anyhow the painted pipe just jammed into the pluming fixture and turned it so I could lathe it down.
I love it. Injunity always prevails. Great to see how you can make things work with what you have. Its better if your not to close to the parts store.

Hello again. Sorry for not answering you promptly, but I was away on a February holiday. Almost anywhere is nicer than here in the winter, but Australia and New Zealand are really nice right now.
Nothing has been done on the '34 Plymouth lately, but I have been working on the aforementioned old tractor. I've rebuilt a brass updraft carburetor, a spare newer Zenith, [just in case the brass one doesn't cut the mustard] and built an old looking air cleaner, all for a 1928 Twin City tractor.

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 20
I am working on the Plymouth a little but, measuring, engineering, building brackets and test fitting them goes pretty slow.
Here's my 1927 Twin City running after 80 years of resting. It's up on jack stands, in high gear, with the clutch engaged, so the wheels are turning.

Attachments

• Twin City start up 2.jpg
    Twin City start up 2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Twin City start up 1.jpg
    Twin City start up 1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 56
Installing the clutch/brake pedal assembly, under the floor, beside a Hemi with bellhousing mounts, is quite a chore. I'm still in the test and adjust stage with this gismo, so I've had to take it out and put it in a lot. The last bracket I made is 1/4 inch too wide so I have to skinny it down a bit. So, some progress but nothing picture worthy.

The bracket is finished and primed, but with all of the crawling around under the car, looking at things, I am pretty near convinced that the engine and transmission are too low, [three and a half inches off the floor at the flywheel dust cover]. Maybe I should raise it up two or three inches. Now is the time, but I'll have to throw the new bracket away, and cut a cross member out behind the transmission.

Attachments

• IMG_1802.jpg
    IMG_1802.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 21
I guess I don't fall into the youngster group, because I remember that tractor of Mr. Douglas's, Bam.

Anyhow, I've got some picture worthy progress here,------well, not really progress, more like regress.
I decided that the clearance under the motor was too little, at three and a half inches, so I yanked the motor and transmission and will raise it all by three inches. That means redo-ing a few things but it will only get worse later on.

Attachments

• IMG_1804.jpg
    IMG_1804.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back