First cut is DONE..This is what I have

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm..a slight problem

Ok..finished the top and started on the doors...cut the top of the wondow frames off and ..RUT RO...Looks like a problem..Any ideas how to solve this..?

Attachments

• SANY0468.jpg
    SANY0468.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 214
Hmmm...wish someone...

Guess I am screwed.I spent 4 days doing over 200 spot welds then allowing them to cool and then welding it all together.Kinda impossible to correct that now.I looked at re-cutting but there is no way to do that.To cut it all apart would leave nothing to weld to once I am done...I guess chock it to one expensive screw up.Wish someone would have said.."Oh by the way,you need to pull the top out to match the bottom".....off to the scrap yard it goes.:D:D

However, I'm not without answers for you. You can cut a wedge out of the window frame and tip it in to match the roof. The only real problem your going to run into is the A pillar will be at more of an angle than the B pillar, as I mentioned before. But since your not interested in side windows that won't be an issue. You will have to study this a bit to determine where the best place to cut is. If you check out dmw56's build thread I think you will find some good ideas there.

rodguy1 nailed it just cut the door posts bend em in to match, you said you dont need no stinkin windows.. dont scrap the cab, when chops go bad... roadsters happen! dp1

Man, don't scrap it!:eek: Anything and I mean ANYTHING, can be fixed! Even if you have to cut apart some of the pieces you welded and put another piece in the roof, it can still be saved!.....Hang in there with it. Just walk away for a few days and see how many ideas come to ya about fixing it!:D...CR

Cut it apart..

Spent the better half of 2 days cutting the welds.Moved everything to almost where it was..( I am sure some of the metal did shrink during welding..) but this is the closet I could get it.The gap between the top and bottom now is over 1 and 1/2 inches.I cant pull the top out any farther.I even cut the top apart..again.Still cant get closer then this.Talked to a guy about cutting that B pillar..said it cant be done."Your cutting stamped metal,you can cut it but by time you try and lean it in,everything else will be out of whack."

Attachments

• SANY0471.jpg
    SANY0471.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 184
  • SANY0470.jpg
    SANY0470.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 177
  • SANY0469.jpg
    SANY0469.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 191
You should be able to bend the top part out to meet the bottom. Do you have acess to a hydraulic porta power. to spread the top outwards. On mine I didn't have any problem with it lining up at the door jamp.

I am no pro at this but I lined the back up and leaned the a post . Seemed there was less cutting for me that way. Its not perfect but a lil more work and it will look good. I know how ya feel, kinda like you ruined it but it will come together just take your time. Lookin good though.

Like I said before, sometimes you just gotta walk away for awhile and suddenly it'll come to ya, how to fix it!......CR

Whatever happened with this chop? Felt bad for him because it generated so much unneccesary work! Come on BAdRAt, let us know what happened!!!:D...CR

I really wish he hadn't given up on it. Sad to see somebody throw in the towel with so much invested already. Heck, I'm not anywhere near being ready or able to start my build after almost three years. Talk about frustrating!!! I could give up and try to recoup some of my investment too but then again why? Giving up is simply not an option.

T1

they did tell him to just cut the roof. Cut it into 4 pieces, cut the center out, put the corners where you need them to be, fill the outer sections, them make a center top panel. winds up being easier in the end and less body work. just my $.02

Latest posts

Back