Mystery paint code

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrod preacher

"Official RRR Chaplain"
I have a project 68 gmc truck, basic beige/tan in color
However I cannot find any info anywhere concerning the paint color or code...
Written on the front of bed and on firewall is "5532" and bed says "5532 beige"
Only problem is this doesn't show up on any website as a good number
I am suspecting someone somewhere has ran into this before.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I will try to post up a build thread when I get a little farther along (or get my laptop back in operation)

Dont know , I heard on the newer stuff the paint code is in the serial # can you google 68 GMC factory paint colors and see if a beige pops up ? if it does that should be the original color .. (right ? ) The closest thing I seen to beige is ivory on 68 GMC truck factory colors .. no beige ..

My research doesn't even show a beige for a 68 GMC.
I use paintref.com and they usualy have what I am looking for.
I even checked Chevy for that year and couldn't match the code.
It is possible that it is a "Fleet" color but it should still show up.
If you have a local paint jobber you deal with give them a call with the number
and see what they can find.
I had the same problem with my 1950 Buick. Number didn't match the color and it wasn't a repaint. Plus it didn't show up in any of the 1950 Buick paint chips.[S
A one off factory custom color? Who knows. I just ended up having it scanned to come up with a formula.
Torchie.

I'm with Torchie, probably a fleet color. May have been painted in house wherever it was converted to a city truck or somebodies fleet. Scanning it may be the only way to find out.

Latest posts

Back