engine position / radiator clearance

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howiess2000

I think this is more of a frame question than an engine question, and I apologize if this Q was asked previously. That being said...

How much room would I need minimum between the front cross bar and the furthest part of the engine? (ie. the pulleys). I plan on having a typical 29 ford grill shell, radiator and electric fan. I'm sure someone has done this before. Are there any "gotchas" that I should look out for?

I'm thinking that clearance from the ground to the oil pan should be 6".

I really dont want to mount then remount the engine since it weighs several hundred pounds. :)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• WP_20150516_011.jpg
    WP_20150516_011.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 62
You need to mock it up. Put what ever accessories your going to have on the engine and then set the radiator up there. Your going to want a few inches between fan and radiator at the least. Make sure you have room to unbolt the fan.

The only thing that matters is being able to remove parts without interference.[S or so my brain thinks.
That said, mock-up is the best way to be sure. [;)

Thanks all for the replies.

You are right.

I was just thinking that I might be able to cheat a little and get the engine dropped in and move on with out the radiator, shell, and fan. but like you said its just best to mock up.

Like the others have said, mock it up. As for the ground clearance issue, I always make sure the oil pan does not hang lower than the frame rails, so if the worst happens on a wicked bump, you wont whack the oil pan.

Latest posts

Back