ideas, help & thoughts on front end width...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

23crate

Staff member
ok need some help with this ..

currently my old coupe (23 Dodge bros) frame uses a 50inch I beam ( king pin centre to centre,

I planning to build a "A" style chassis and use a dropped I beam sitting under the radiator - I saw a suicide front braking under speed once hopping from left to right just looked plain scary so will prob 'z' the frame at each end ..

ok so what is a common width I beam among users here on this site ?

im currently looking at a 48'' and offset wheel centres on the front.. now have to be a little careful - the trunk on this junk is 43" wide, so I cant go too narrow in the front or risk crap steering geometry...

thoughts? haven't quite settled on what rear end yet , hoping to go a bit bigger tyres than the front ..

aiming for a trad style

appreciate any thoughts ideas and or pics !!

thanks 'crate

which axle do you have? some of the t-bucket crowd like the dodge axle because of it's shape. as far as width goes it's up to the owner. some folks like a wider track and some don't some like a narrow front and a wide rear kinda dragster look. a lot stick around the original width.

Last edited:
hmmm ...

am currently looking at a 48" magnum axle with 4" drop ...

Im looking to have a transverse spring front axle, here in new Zealand , if we weld anything to a front axle its no good in the eyes of the national transport body .

I cant go too narrow as at the B pillar the coupe body widens to around 52 inches..

I have these pics gleaned of the 'net .. while its a nice car , its is a little too shiney for me,, I have saved these pictures because this car is similar in Y.O.m to mine and I like the stance / perspective etc

the last brown chevy coupe is similar to where im heading

Attachments

• dodge 3.jpg
    dodge 3.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 454722[1].jpg
    454722[1].jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 454723[1].jpg
    454723[1].jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 454724[1].jpg
    454724[1].jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 454725[1].jpg
    454725[1].jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 10550047_355971714556825_8149878689222350052_o[1].jpg
    10550047_355971714556825_8149878689222350052_o[1].jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
What's wrong with the original axle?
Just use batwings and bolt them on.
This is a 46" king pin to king pin. Had I used a 48 I'd have another inch of clearance, on each side, for a tighter turn radius.
attachment.php

Last edited:
i'm thinking the same thing, or one the same width with the drop. if you can't weld on the frame i would leave it in the stock location and just get a dropped axle. if you have the room for your tires to clear then you might could narrow it up some. what about building a new frame? can yall do that?

guys, the original front axle got sold off with the rest of original running gear to a restorer, he runs a 20’s Dodge phaeton looks like the original rat rod ( will try for a picture next time I see it ) … I like the simplicity of the A I beam, mount points are wider spaced , lots of good bolt on braking options too. Ps Old Iron - cool look ! planning for similar
over here welds on any front axle need to be crack tested and done by a certified welder, the expense and the hassle its just cheaper to buy a new axle and chuck that in . my original frame is around 22” inside measurement so have a bit to play with
As far as frame build goes, yep , trade qualified body man 20+ years experience cover lots of welding skills and thickness materials can weld mig stick tig oxy/acety I love welding stuff …. I have various T Bucket frame, and 30-31 ford original frame dimensions, and have measured the important dodge frame parts looking forward to that bit the most 

Thanks !!

Latest posts

Back