Mustang II sus*****on or others

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgewade

getting started building my frame for my RPU and I plan to use a M II front suspension over the suicide front end. It will be a 50 Int. will a build narrow bed, no front sheet metal some sort of grill to cover the radiator. May actually add some sort of sheet metal/hood over the engine.

Since there is several out there that use some sort of ifs under there RR's. Would someone care to offer some information?
1) How far in front of the cab does the front end sit? Front of Cab to center of wheel/spindle? Maybe I should say from the front edge of the door to the center of the wheel.
2) Ride height: My front tires will be 12.5" - 13" to center. Looking at top of frame being 12". With my cab this creates an offset of 2". Using a 9" Ford rear with the tires and wheels I'm looking at a 14" - 14.5" center of axle height. I want a small amount of rake to the front. What's the typical offset for the rear? Will probably use coil spring setup in the back with radius rods. Possible four link.
3) To make things look proportional, what is the typically bed length and where do you have the center of your tires on the bed?
4) Same for the front?
5) I have sorta planned on using 126" for the wheel base? Any suggestions?
6) Do I want or need the engine resting center of the front suspension? That is from front to rear?
Since most of these questions are subject to preference, I welcome any information or advice as to what others are doing. Not trying to reinvent anything, just looking for ideas and advice to hopefully not make a lot of mistakes. I have used the MII front end under another car in the past, shortened several pickups to make a short wheel base with a host of other engine transplants. Just never built an entire frame from front to rear. I did build a Two T Bucket frames with someone else finishing one, mine is still in the way.

Thanks, I really welcome opinions and appreciate any information passed on to me.

Wade

I apologize for the long post, again I really appreciate any information given.

Some on here use 2x4's to moch up their frame ideas and place the body in a location for a visual so, changes can be made easily.
The engine placement is determined by the engine chosen for the build + radiator + fan clearance to the radiator and an inch or two clearance to the firewall.

Latest posts

Back