250 six with a 700R4 trans

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thom

Anybody running a 250 inline six backed by a 700 trans? I know it will bolt up but I wonder how well it works. I'm thinking about putting the combo in '41 Pontiac sedan with a 10 bolt rearend (don't know the gear ratio yet, but the Camaro donor car had a four speed). Any tips? Thanks.[S

The '41 Pontiac. I have the front bumper.

Attachments

• 0923160822a (1).jpg
    0923160822a (1).jpg
    136 KB · Views: 35
I haven't done it but it should work fine. You will need a 3.40 rear end or deeper. Cool Poncho.

700R4 has a lower first gear than a TH350 or TH400. The 700's lower first gear will get the 250 out of it's shadow quicker, but the 700's 1-2-3 ratios are wider than a three speed...

Your tire size and diff ratio are the deciding factors. If you keep the 250 in its powerband, it'll pull four gears as well as it pulls three.

The six that you have will do just fine.
The early Ponchos had flathead 6's and flathead straight 8' even the straight 8 didn't have the power your 250 six does.
By the way was your 41 a 6 car or a 8 car? [P[P[P

It was a six. The only thing missing, besides the engine and trans is the chrome or stainless molding for the front edge of the hood.

I'm trying to consider all my options. I have a '91 Caprice wagon with a low mileage 305 and fresh 700 trans. I am looking into the possibility of swapping the '41 Pontiac body onto the Caprice chassis, using the 305 an 700.[S

I had a 48 Pontiac with 350/turbo 350, front frame clip from a 74 Nova, and GM 10 bolt rear. Drove terrific. Agree with Iron on the Caprice chassis. Perhaps an S10 chassis. Lots around and can be had cheap.

I had a 48 Pontiac with 350/turbo 350, front frame clip from a 74 Nova, and GM 10 bolt rear. Drove terrific. Agree with Iron on the Caprice chassis. Perhaps an S10 chassis. Lots around and can be had cheap.

I installed a 67 to 69 Camaro clip (same as a 68 to 74 Nova clip) in a 41 Chevy, it drives really well and the track width is close too.
If you are going to do a frame swap, a better fit would be a square body Dakota two wheel drive, standard cab long bed, it's within two inches of being the same which will hide easily and the area where the bed sits is lower than the S10.
I honestly would clip the original frame.

I installed a 67 to 69 Camaro clip (same as a 68 to 74 Nova clip) in a 41 Chevy, it drives really well and the track width is close too.
If you are going to do a frame swap, a better fit would be a square body Dakota two wheel drive, standard cab long bed, it's within two inches of being the same which will hide easily and the area where the bed sits is lower than the S10.
I honestly would clip the original frame.

I'm with Old Iron on this one, the clip would be the better way to go. The Caprice frame kicks out too wide under the body and they just don't look good for most swaps because of that. S10 frames for most cars just aren't the right choice. I'm a big proponent of S10 swaps where they make sense, I just don't think they make sense for a lot of car swaps.

There are a lot of low-cost bolt-in front suspension options that could save you a lot of work as well. A lot of the issues with the Mustang II suspensions have been fixed in newer versions and they're quite good now.

Anybody running a 250 inline six backed by a 700 trans? I know it will bolt up but I wonder how well it works. I'm thinking about putting the combo in '41 Pontiac sedan with a 10 bolt rearend (don't know the gear ratio yet, but the Camaro donor car had a four speed). Any tips? Thanks.[S

For what it's worth I had a six in my 62 Bel Air. That engine was a 235 with a powerglide. I was determined to keep it, but unfortunately had some issues with it and changed it to a SBC and a TH350. The car is way more fun to drive and much more enjoyable with the SBC. The novelty of a six is definitely fun, but a SBC is definitely much more enjoyable if you plan to do lots of driving.

Latest posts

Back