PVC sheets for door panels ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
I've been struggling to figure out what to use as door panels for my Olds. I had planned on using cloth but I'll never get the doors to seal all the way so that would stain. So now I'm thinking I could cut panels out of PVC she material and paint a lace pattern of some type on them. But I'm concerned that the edges would look unfinished and cheap. I'm thinking I could use screws with eyelets to attach them.

Any ideas how I can make the edges look classy?

Router the corners?
is the window seal leaking or the door seal?
you can use Visqueen and seal the water from getting on the cloth too...

Edges...

Sam. You might try the chrome edge stuff like goes on the edge of the door. You know....the stuff you use to keep from chipping the paint. You can buy it in rolls and it comes in black, too.

Router the corners?
is the window seal leaking or the door seal?
you can use Visqueen and seal the water from getting on the cloth too...

The door seals leak a bit - that's fixable. The wing windows leak - that ain't getting fixed - $$$.

Not sure how Visqueen would help??

I thought of that chrome trim stuff right off too, I think I'd need something smaller - the 4x8 sheets I have are 3/32" thick. Routering it might be an option - just a simple rounded edge would look good if it I can keep it laid flat. If it buckles up at all, it would look like crud.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Smooth

If your talking polycarbonate or acrylic sheeting just sand the edge with some 220 sand paper then break out the propane torch and flame polish the edge's. get them hot enough to melt just enough.

Kurt

The door seals leak a bit - that's fixable. The wing windows leak - that ain't getting fixed - $$$.

Not sure how Visqueen would help??

I thought of that chrome trim stuff right off too, I think I'd need something smaller - the 4x8 sheets I have are 3/32" thick. Routering it might be an option - just a simple rounded edge would look good if it I can keep it laid flat. If it buckles up at all, it would look like crud.

Thanks for the input fellas.

I was figuring it may be the window seals letting water in from the back side is all... :)

USe the PVC sheeting...or any sheeting for that matter.....and cover it in cloth.

I did it to my son's 66 and it turned out good!

I sprayed the panels with 3M adhesive stuff and squeegeed the cloth on with a putty knife.

DSCF5494.JPG

DSCF5496.JPG

Thanks for all the ideas! I already have a couple 4x8 sheets of this stuff - I think it's PVC, and I think it may be thinner, like 1/8" or less. Anything that will hold a rust stain is pretty much out.

When I can get in to my old garage, I'll pull a sheet and see if I can make something of it.

Aluminum isn't the look I'm looking for, and it ain't cheap enough for me anyhow. :rolleyes:

Originally, I wanted to use a cloth with a black and grey flowery paisley type pattern (it was better looking than it sounds - really!)

There's a guy in B.C. who builds cool rods, he has a sign shop and has used some type of plastic panels, ABS or PVC, not sure. Anyways, he does wraps on them like they do for the sides of vehicles, etc., with hot rod scenes, very kool. Pretty much anything you can take a pic of and scan into a computer can be produced and applied to a plastic panel.

Latest posts

Back