Smallfoot's 46 Chevy Flatbed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfoot

He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!
Had me a day here today...been going at this little escapade all day long. Long story short, every which way that things maybe could have went a little screwy, it did. It's been a real long day but I'm home now with a new toy.
Advertised as a 47, it turned into a 46 when the title came out to change hands...no big deal...it's a good clear title on it.
The body is pretty solid. It's a North Dakota truck so our weather hasn't ripped it to hell and gone. A little rust around the normal places. under the doors mostly and few spots on the lower edges. More holes in it from mounting mirrors and lights and such than any rust. All the glass is in it. Some busted pieces but it's all flat glass,,,no probs. All the lights, trim, grille, all there. Still 6 volt. Floor start starter still in place. Guy said it was running when they parked but not started in years. By the looks of the motor, it might run with a little tinkering, but I have a frame swap in mind with some mods. I have a motor home with running 454, T400, rear end unknown yet but complete and running with 70,000 on the clock.
The 46 was set up with pto dump apparatus, but I have a hydraulic dump piston and set up that works which will probably be used. I'll keep this cab whole with fenders and will be used as a work truck out here some. I might even paint it....:eek:
Enough of the story for now. Maybe after my system settles I'll tell ya about the ride home. On with the pics!

super good shape.

I sold my 46 truck, no bed last year, but I make $ 300 on it. My step son has a 46 1 ton, no bed, and we have an Xj 6 for the suspension, I keep telling him to pull the SBC 400 His father built years ago jused before he passed away out of one of the pickups we don't use any more . My son bought a 46 farm truck. pulled the cab and he planned on a custom frame with a camero front clip. lowerd down so the big wheelcut out won;t look strange. My youngest son is a fireman and plans on using the truck chassis to make a buckboard style antique looking fire truck . He said he might try to use the hydralic pump to spray water in parades.

Guy that sold it was a pretty cool dude. This was sitting in his building.

[/IMG][/URL]

Beautiful 36 International...

Nice looking truck! You know I like the big trucks! Excited for another build from you!!

Thanks guys! This might be a slow go. Ya'll know how that goes. Already have so many things to do and ya take on another. I just couldn't let this go. It was advertised for over a month and I kept saying to myself...no more projects...un huh! I told myself if it was still there after a month, I'd go deal for it...tada!!!
Did get money off the deal so good to go...

Hmmm, okie dokie! I started my day with the truck in mind. Call the guy 8:30 am. He tells me where to come to see it. I tell him I have to hit the bank, grab my trailer and head up expecting to be there around noon with all the errands I have to do. The bank is about an hour trip to and from back to my place. The trip to the bank went ok. I'm coming thru town and picked up a buddy that said he'd like to go. Another small side trip and extra time. Get out to my place and go to my bud's property where the trailer is sitting to grab it. Ok. it's loaded with fencing materials we've been working with. Take it back to my place, unload it. I've not left home yet and it's already going on noon. So we head up to where the truck is. I'm already late. Get there. Call the guy. He's in the middle of replacing the tracks on a dozer. I'm standing under the big power lines you see in some of the pix and could just barely make out his conversation. He's telling me he's going to be a while and I thought he said he'd be down when finished. What he was telling me was look the truck over and come on down to the barn if I wanted it. Me and my buddy are pretty patient and we looked it over did some measuring decided to get it and we could haul. Just waiting on the guy to come over. I'd have been waiting till hell froze over if it hadn't been for the call to him that we needed o get on the road if we were going to get off the road before dark. He tells me he mis-understood and I surely did too. I got down to the barn and met up and like I said before, he was a pretty cool dude....we both spun some yarns but he came down with a big loader to help getting it up on the trailer.
We didn't get 30 miles from where we picked up the truck and I over heated "old faithful" My old motor that's been in several of my cars, trucks, and air boats over the years. It was tired already. Pretty sure I took a year or two off the rings and probably wiped a lobe on the cam too. Smoking, over heating and losing power.

Pulled over in a place I could unhook the rig and called my buddy Junior. Unfortunately,for about 30 minutes we got no response and then a call after numerous pages and left voice mails. Junior was on the tractor working out on the property and didn't get the calls for a while. He did call and we told him where we were. About 2 hours wait and there he his. Hooked him up and I fall in behind him for the long ride home. Slow ride. By the time we got to my gate, it's past dark thirty. Junior says head out in front on the driveway and open the gates for me. Ok. I get back here and was waiting. And waiting. It doesn't take long to make that mile of driveway. I jump on the loader and head down to find out what the problem is. Find Junior stuck in the sand. Truck buried when the trailer bogged. He didn't have in 4wd. Jeesh! Ok. I get behind him with the loader, lift the trailer rear up out of the sand and bummp him to get a start thru the sugar....off he goes. We get to the house and I snatched the big 46 off the trailer with the loader and let Junior get home. All totaled, I got about 14 hours in a 4 hour trip....:rolleyes: The last pix were taken about 10:30. I'm just out of bed with a week of flu. Burned out tired and disgusted with the happenings of the trip,,,but hey, I got a 46 Chevy to play with!!!

What's it going to be like starting with a whole truck instead of a pile of flat panels?:D

Bob, it'll be nice. Outside of a good cleaning and a few holes and dents beat out it will go pretty good I think. Not near as much body work to deal with as on the 31. :D I haven't seen one down here that was as complete as this. I don't need anything to look for on the cab...it's all there!

Thanks wb3! I'm getting measurements and figuring things out to see how difficult the swap is gonna be. Truck is sitting under my big A-frame hoist ready to rip things apart...

Latest posts

Back