Central Pneumatic Garage Air Kit (#66747)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhead

I needed to plumb my shop for air, as I was tired of having a mess of air hoses all over the shop. I came across a a Central Pneumatic Garage Air Kit at my local Harbor Freight store (part number 66747) and decided to buy it. It's usually a $100 item, but it was on sale at $54.99 and I had a 20% off coupon. It ended up being about $47 out the door. It is very very similar to the Rapid Air kit that sells for three times the price. It comes with 100' of 1/2" O.D., 3/8" I.D. tubing and all the fittings in the pictures.

IMG_0778.jpg

I had the quick connect. It wasn't included in the kit.
IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

Well, I went ahead an installed it. It went together in a few hours. The biggest problem was uncoiling the hose, but I managed to get it done.

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

I put the kit together in a few hours, but I've spent the last three days trying to fix all the leaks. EVERY CONNECTION IN THIS KIT LEAKS! I got the leaks down to a "managable" amount, such that my 60 gallon tank would go from 130 psi down to about 30 psi in 24 hours. Well, today I went to use it and a quick connect fitting popped out and drained the tank in a couple of minutes. The slightest (and I mean SLIGHTEST) movement at a quick-connect fitting can fix or create a massive leak. This kit is the finickiest thing I've ever bought.

Harbor Freight has a lot of good stuff, but this kit is a total piece of crap! It is coming down tomorrow and it will go back to the store.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. STAY AWAY!!

When we did our shop we had read so much about pvc tubing having problems that we went with galvanized pipe instead. There have been cases of the pvc exploding and sending shrapnel flying clear across the garage, and in some cases injuring someone.

I know there will be people on both sides of the debate on this one, but we just weren't taking that chance.

Don

Use PEX tubing (water or heating) works great and you can get it in 1/2"-1 1/4". I used crimp fittings, but there are sharkbite press fitting that actually work very well. Much better than some of the plastic line air kits I've seen.

I was really considering one of those kits....thanks for the heads up.

I think I'll just use pipe.
I just have a 2 car garage, but I want air at all the walls, the roll up doors, and a couple outside.

I use soldered copper pipe in my shop. I also put a moisture P type trap every 15' or so. I can go to any point and drain any moisture out of it. But, I now have driers. Commercial shop should not use PVC. Home shop it will last forever, and as long as you don't get over 139 psi you are good to go.

I was also looking at the HF air kit

I will move from that idea quickly..... always wondered about pvc.. stayed away from it from all the supposed horror stories.... Never thought about PEX.... any other thoughts about the use of PVC or PEX? The temp changes between when I'm in or out of the barn, (heated then cold) will that have a factor?? Just wondering......[S I think my compressors are set at 130psi both of them.....

Another way is use truck (18 wheeler) air brake line stander size is 1/2 but also available in 5/8 use the DOTs approved fittings and the system is good as gold. we use this same line and fitting in our airbags and in the 30 years I have been around it never seen a failure due to the parts lots by poor instillation.

cheapest place I have found is truck pro, and IHC dealer

I wouldn't use PVC even schedule 80. I know some guys use it and get away with it. But it does eventually get brittle and and does have the potential to explode and send out shrapnel. So why take the chance.

I just bought RapidAir Master Kit, Model# 90500 from Northern Tool and equipment. I'll let you know how it is once it's installed.

I wouldn't use anything that shatters when you hit it with a hammer. Especially in my small garage where there is a good chance of scrap metal hitting it. How much are you really saving?!

i used pvc pipe in my shop 12 years ago no leaks easy to install no problems so far

boss did that 20 years ago, till last year part of it exploded one day when we were working tell you what that was the loudest thing ive ever heard and it threw pieces every where

Welll....maybe I won't..........

This is why I haven't done it to this point..... so many mixed ideas about it's ok... it isn't ok.... one question, did it last for that 20years before it blew out?? Cause If I had to replace it every 10 years to be safe, it still would be cheaper than the air line kits..... my compressors only make 130lbs total...[S

Just did my whole shop in PEX and seems to be working out quite well. Made my cooler and receiver blocks from 2 inch square tube and IPT flanges. Don't know if I saved much, but it installed fairly easy and I have what I want.

Pex is cheap to buy, it doesn't cause shrapnel and the fittings are cheap if you don't buy name brand. it will hold air pressure to 130 psi without a problem. If the is a pressure failure, the line just gets a split in it that can be sectioned if necessary...

Latest posts

Back