question about materials for making new door panels..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59ponchorat

i think im gonna try and make some new door panels for the buick i just got..got the old ones for a pattern..what kinda stuff do i use for the backer board?where can i find it?also where is a good place to find an assortment of fabrics?havent decided on color or type or fabric yet...

Luan(sp?) works great. It's 3/16" thick and easy to work with. Available at your local home improvement store in the plywood section.

I used masonite on mine but luan or door skin will work just as well , just seal it with something so it doesn`t warp, for cloth I used an army tent , heavy duty cheap and water resistant...

Attachments

• IM000649 (Medium).JPG
    IM000649 (Medium).JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 135
Water-proof door panels

Greetings!

. Finally found what to use for door panel backing that is thin & won't absorb water. My convertible panels were past bad shape, but roughly $100 to $200 EACH, so I decided to make 'em.
. While discussing the dilemma with a Lowes employee, he suggested plastic. I bought a 4x8 sheet of FRP for about $15.
. FRP is a thin Fiberglass Re-enforced Plastic sold as a finish-type wall ' covering. Typically used in commercial apps like bathroom & kitchen walls where they frequently wash-down with steam or hot water, it's pebble-grain on 1 side & smooth on the back, plus quite flexible before install. (Mine was rolled & tied with string to fit thru the truck topper door.)
. FRP ADHESIVE is sold in caulk-gun tubes and gallons. Two mirrored pieces glued smooth-to-smooth should rigid enough for most stuff. It's easy to handle & work, but stay alert to what you are doing. Jagged plastic cuts nasty holes in skin!
. Next time, I'll use that PEEL & SEAL tech tip on the FRP.:D

I also used FRP for mine. I just did it and being plastic it is easy to cut and will not warp when wet. I did not have any door panels to use as a pattern and it was still fairly easy. It looks a ton better even without material on it. It is easy to find even in a small town which saves shipping cost. I cut mine with tin snips.

Anyone ever use starboard for anything?
We have used it on boats to replace wood trim.Comes in 4X8 sheets up to 3/4 thick.It is falling out of use around here because it abrorbs stains and no way to get it out.
For some reason wood trim coated with teak oil is coming back in style.Go figure.[S

I replaced the plastic shower stall from my basement of my house and got the crazy idea to cut it up and make door and kick panels for my truck. Pebble grained and waterproof. Easy to cut with sheet metal shears. Looks decent too.

Greetings!

. Finally found what to use for door panel backing that is thin & won't absorb water. My convertible panels were past bad shape, but roughly $100 to $200 EACH, so I decided to make 'em.
. While discussing the dilemma with a Lowes employee, he suggested plastic. I bought a 4x8 sheet of FRP for about $15.
. FRP is a thin Fiberglass Re-enforced Plastic sold as a finish-type wall ' covering. Typically used in commercial apps like bathroom & kitchen walls where they frequently wash-down with steam or hot water, it's pebble-grain on 1 side & smooth on the back, plus quite flexible before install. (Mine was rolled & tied with string to fit thru the truck topper door.)
. FRP ADHESIVE is sold in caulk-gun tubes and gallons. Two mirrored pieces glued smooth-to-smooth should rigid enough for most stuff. It's easy to handle & work, but stay alert to what you are doing. Jagged plastic cuts nasty holes in skin!
. Next time, I'll use that PEEL & SEAL tech tip on the FRP.:D

I know this is a blast from the past, but I did some searching rather than just asking like a newb.

Do you guys think that the PEEL & SEAL would be most effective on top of the FRP like this member stated then covered with the material of choice? I was thinking that the PEEL & SEAL would be better applied to the door then covered with the FRP.

Thanks.

Door panel material

The FRP sounds great. I have seen some of the upholstery shops use 1/16 ABS plastic. Comes in 4X8 sheets. I bet it is more expensive than FRP but is pretty rigid. We can't drive our rats in the rain (no fenders) so door skins work here. Just my two bits worth. Later Steve

I know this is a blast from the past, but I did some searching rather than just asking like a newb.

Do you guys think that the PEEL & SEAL would be most effective on top of the FRP like this member stated then covered with the material of choice? I was thinking that the PEEL & SEAL would be better applied to the door then covered with the FRP.

Thanks.

I have used a bunch of Peel and Seal. I would put it on the door (heat and roll it) then put the door panel on. That's just the way I'd do it....probably either way would work.

Latest posts

Back