Evolution Rage 14" Carbide Chop Saw Blade

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choppinczech

This thing is great. With a nice easy feed rate, these blades cut steel tubing and bar like butter with no deflection. And if you need to take another 1/16" off of your cut, it'll do it. Try that with a 14" abrasive blade. I'll never go back to an abrasive type chop saw blade again.

Attachments

• rage.jpg
    rage.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 39
  • rage 2.jpg
    rage 2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 25
Only info I've found says this blade has max rpm of 1600. My Dewalt chop saw runs 4000rpm.:confused:

I have never used one but have seen one in action. They are very nice.

The saws and blades are available on the Lowe's website and you can do free store pickup which saves $$ on shipping. I am not sure what the practical difference is between the 299 version and the 375 version.

attachment.php

NOTE: that these blades spin slower and work differently than an abrasive chop saw. I don't think it would be wise to put one of these in an abrasive saw, even if you could get it to "fit".

Attachments

• evolution.png
    evolution.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 71
I wonder.....

could you use a rheostat (speed control) to slow it down...?? How fast do nomal chop saws spin?? 3000...2800..never paid much attention other than dodging the sparks...:eek:

Does the speed control work by modulating the 60 hz or (most likely) is it a rheostat.
Slowing down a 4,000 rpm electric motor by cutting the juice isn't such a good idea.
electric motors running at low voltage can get overloaded and burn windings easier when the motor stalls.
DC motors don't have any rpm related issues but ac motors have efficiency sweet spots where the rpm is tuned tot he frequency of the electric current.
The more out of phase the frequency of the motor is with the frequency of the current the greater the inefficiency and internal resistance du to misaligned magnetic fields.
I learned about that studying the differences between AC and DC traction motors and controlling devices for locomotives. I had a plan to build a diesel electric semi tractor back when I was making a lot more money. I was going to use a special transmission and a self designed 400kw traction motor/generator and dual general electric 250-300 kw micro turbines for electrical generation. I was also going with a boost battery/capacitor for standing start takeoff

The 1450 rpm chopsaw is designed to operate at 15 amps
The 4000 rpm chop saw is also designed to operate at 15 amps
Using a rheostat the motor will never receive the proper voltage. there is always a voltage drop across a resistor.

Latest posts

Back