Lokar shift knob adapter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radford46

Anyone else out there tried this??
I bought one to use with an awesum 8 ball knob that was custom pinstriped.
The adapter puts another 3 or so inches on the already tall shifter. With that height and the weight of the knob, the thing rattles and vibrates the top of the shifter at least 4inches.
Couldn't handle that. Tried the shifter nuts to make sure it was tight then went back to the aluminum push button original knob.
Looked great but can't handle the shaking and rattling.
Anyone else had this problem or have a solution besides a very light knob.?

Yep....

I had the same problem and I was using a small skull knob. Adjusted the dang thing a dozen times.....never could get it to stop. I had it on a 15 inch shifter.

I decided I wanted a tall shifter so I ordered a 32 inch Lokar stick with the inner cable 6 inches longer than normal. I had a large skull (plastic) so I epoxyed a nut to the bottom and drilled a hole in the top. I cut the cable off flush with the top of the skull and put a door button from a 55 Chevy on the end of the cable to take it out of park. I did not use the adapter. Its in a drawer somewhere. I just push down on the button and....presto.

Lynn

Attachments

• SHAKEY2.jpg
    SHAKEY2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 21
Cool

That sounds like a good solution Shakey56. I've already got a tall ass shifter.,so I'd just have to get another cable, but would be tough to screw up my 8 ball.

Damn

Guess I'm glad I'm not the only one. Great concept and looks good at a show, but on an every dayer the rattling is too much.
How tall is yours Lds?

Wear your seatbelt!

Rusty, hope you wear a seatbelt. That steering wheel wouldn't feel too good going into your sternum! Looks cool as he'll tho.

I had the same problem and I was using a small skull knob. Adjusted the dang thing a dozen times.....never could get it to stop. I had it on a 15 inch shifter.

I decided I wanted a tall shifter so I ordered a 32 inch Lokar stick with the inner cable 6 inches longer than normal. I had a large skull (plastic) so I epoxyed a nut to the bottom and drilled a hole in the top. I cut the cable off flush with the top of the skull and put a door button from a 55 Chevy on the end of the cable to take it out of park. I did not use the adapter. Its in a drawer somewhere. I just push down on the button and....presto.

Lynn

That sounds like a good way to do it. My biggest beef is the adapter seems to slowly work loose, so you need to re-tighten the allen head set screws(but they don't tighten down solid, they keep in the slot if that makes sense). I have tried using loctite, that doesn't seem to help.

Yep

I don't really mind the rattling as much as the actual vibration travel from side to side! I could put my fingers together in a loop around the shifter stick and it would beat my fingers to death going down the road! Didn't realize an 8 ball was that heavy. Guess they do some damage in a bar fight tho.

I don't really mind the rattling as much as the actual vibration travel from side to side! I could put my fingers together in a loop around the shifter stick and it would beat my fingers to death going down the road! Didn't realize an 8 ball was that heavy. Guess they do some damage in a bar fight tho.

Hmm, no ours doesn't move around that much. It just vibrates to the point you can see it, and it caused stress cracks in those ball taps.

Heavy ball

Yeah, I'm sure it's the weight of the 8 ball.
Cool steering wheels, it's really wild what car makers thought up before the 70's.
What are the taps, porcelain?

Yeah, I'm sure it's the weight of the 8 ball.
Cool steering wheels, it's really wild what car makers thought up before the 70's.
What are the taps, porcelain?

Yeah, they have an inset that I guess can't deal with the vibration. The POS one was very cool, it just started getting stress crack lines in it. Was to bad, since it was perfect when I started with it.

8 Ball

Be patient with me....I want to be certain you understand what I did ..I have a very radical cam in my F100 so my stick shakes at idle.....severly! (therefor; Shakey56). Driving down the road, it does NOT shake.

My skull is hollow but the wall thickness is about 3/8 of an inch. When I epoxyed the nut on the bottom and drilled the hole in the top, I screwed it on the shifter (double nutted so it would stay in position), I thought: Cool!. The cable protruded a little above the top, so I cut it off flush. However, when I tried to push it down, it was very difficult because it is so small. As I said, I drilled the top hole just large enough to accept a door lock button from a 55 Chevy. But....it looked kinda goofy sticking up. Actually, very goofy, so.... bought a wash mitt and cut out a piece for a wig. It is held in place with velcro. Yeah, I know....not for everyone...right? But it works for me.

The important thing I wanted you to know is my skull (knob) is mounted solid. It does NOT move. I take it out of park by pushing the button down.
If you have any questions, gimme a shout. Hope this helps ya.
Lynn

Attachments

• SHAKEY1.jpg
    SHAKEY1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 10
Cool

Pretty freakin ingenius Shakey. I think I'll learn to lift with my Lokar stock push button knob tho. Too much other stuff I can spend time on, like tightening up my steering. A toupee huh?

Latest posts

Back