Rat rod lettering (paint)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raceandwin1

How do you paint names and etc. on a car and make it look very faded and old?...I am considering trying to do this to a very faded and rusty 55 chevrolet.I want it to appear to be an old drag car body with diffrent things lettered on it.Any ideas andd or techniques would be greatly appreciated

I would think a scotchbrite pad or steelwool would make some new paint look somewhat old. Just a thought though, I haven't tried it myself either.

I've heard people wet sand over the top and go a little harder on some spots than others to give it that aged look. Never tried it though.

Don

Hey guys, I made a stencil off my computer using I think 8 1/2 by 14 paper. I just went into word or something(been a while) and typed it up, enlarged it and all the other stuff and printed it out, then I just cut it out with a razor blade.

I then taped it to my door and and sparayed it with krylon, I did several light misting coats, it came out good but not a defined edge. So I took a paint pen and outlined with white and then lightly wet sanded it and I think maybe a scothbrite, it's not perfect but then again neither is anything else on my truck, lol. I have heard of other ways, maybe try researching some on the hamb, Hope this helps guys, Scott

truk14.jpg

truk33.jpg

Hey guys, I made a stencil off my computer using I think 8 1/2 by 14 paper. I just went into word or something(been a while) and typed it up, enlarged it and all the other stuff and printed it out, then I just cut it out with a razor blade.

I then taped it to my door and and sparayed it with krylon, I did several light misting coats, it came out good but not a defined edge. So I took a paint pen and outlined with white and then lightly wet sanded it and I think maybe a scothbrite, it's not perfect but then again neither is anything else on my truck, lol. I have heard of other ways, maybe try researching some on the hamb, Hope this helps guys, Scott

truk14.jpg

truk33.jpg

Nice job

How do you paint names and etc. on a car and make it look very faded and old?...I am considering trying to do this to a very faded and rusty 55 chevrolet.I want it to appear to be an old drag car body with diffrent things lettered on it.Any ideas andd or techniques would be greatly appreciated

Also when u paint dilute the paint as much as u can..Test the diluted paint on pieces of junk metal..I have been doing this for wooden signs that i paint......

Most people over do it , so "fake" turns into "phoney".
Study the real thing to understand what it should look like.

Most people use abrasives, everything from wet sandpaper to Comet Cleanser.

Other people wipe the paint with a rag, damped in solvent, while it is still tacky.

Practice on something else first.

In ol'skool rods issue 25 Jan 08 there was an acticle on how to do the faded look.They laid out the lettering and used 1000 grit scotch brite to wet sand in spots,following the brush strokes.Then used a colored wash simular to vehicle color to create a streaked look. For full details go to www.PAPASTUDIOS.com or email at [email protected] .Hope this helps ya out.

Doesnt matter

How FAKE others THINK it is...its WHAT YOU want..!! So dont listen to all of the other **** other people who dont like it...DO WHAT YOU want.Remember..if they dont like it..they dont have to look at it...:D:D

I did a door for wall art in my garage and lettered it. I used ace hardware sample paint and a sponge brush. It was done in a light blue and then went over it with a watered sown tan color. Sanded it last.
I will get some pictures to night and post tomorrow.

Here's what I did on my truck

Attachments

• IMG00014.jpg
    IMG00014.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1644.jpg
    IMG_1644.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 384
Matured look

Good thread,
I'm planning on doing the same thing to a 50 Study pickup I just bought, I'm researching colors and painting techniques and ripping pages out of car mags.

I want the truck to look like I rescued it from a junk yard where its been sitting for 30 years, right now its all primer gray.