Title ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couper

RRR Supportor
Hey Guys

So this shoulda been the first thing.... but sometimes I'm a little assbackwards :D

I bought my truck with out a bill of sale or title.

So do I buy one from these guys that sell titles?

Thanks

All DMVs in every state and province are different --- and the same. They all have different rules and hoops you have to jump through, but they all make you appreciate how nice enemas are.

It will likely be considered a reconstruction. It will look like a 40 Dodge PU. All possible receipts help. Expect to get a different story from each DMV person you interact with. Stay polite and appreciative of their help. They do not expect the be treated nicely by the public. Read the rod-building rules for your state, and know them better than the person on the other side of the counter. Have a copy with you, and highlight any arguments you expect to face. The rules should be posted on the DMV website. If you have a vin on the cab, have the DMV, or a cop if you know one, run it for you. It will likely not show up at all. If it does, "repair the rust" in the firewall, so it no longer exists. (Oops, I didn't just suggest that you do anything illegal.)

I am facing the same issue. Lesson learned, I hope. Best of luck.

If there is a New Jersey Street Rod Assn. get ahold of them and find out what works. A local club would be a good resource too.

A friend of mine tried to register a 31 Ford coupe the way we usually do and it seems Missouri has joined the no title no registration crowd.
Checked in with Vermont and they're not doing their deal either.
More and more states are joining the this movement.
PM's are invited

I did get a VIN Plate for a 46. I contacted a guy on FB Jack Valles who I bought either a title or Bill of Sale that matches the VIN for 300.00. I have to dig it out to see which. It also came with a notarized note that says he sold it to me. Hopefully it works. I'll keep you posted on it

In NY if you have a legible vin plate or number on a frame or engine block. You can use a couple forms to declare lost registration and get a new one. But it only works pre 1972

We never had titles before 1975 here, bill of sale only. Now, it’s a rolling 35 years, every year it gets one year newer. Some states will accept a AL bill of sale as proof of ownership, some won’t. Check your state DMV website, it should tell you what’s acceptable.

A friend of mine tried to register a 31 Ford coupe the way we usually do and it seems Missouri has joined the no title no registration crowd.
Checked in with Vermont and they're not doing their deal either.
More and more states are joining the this movement.
PM's are invited

If your friend does not have a title, a registration card, an old plate, or a serial number on his coupe, its going to be a tough road. Doesn't much matter what state he lives in these days.

There may be a way to get a bonded title in MO (every state is different), or maybe he can get a title through a "built car" title. You have to see what options are available in your state. Everything is going to have hoops he will have to jump through. My 49 came out of MO with a State of Missouri issued title, but that was 3 years ago now, and I have no idea what the guy went through to get it. Nice thing about that state of MO issued title, IL didn't bat an eye at it. I had it back in my name in a month.

If you have an old ride laying around, or something you are working on, I might suggest you get it titled as soon as possible. Many states are changing the laws to make this harder.

It is no longer "easy" to get a title. I won't buy a vehicle without a title that matches a serial number attached on the body someplace.

In the past, I have gotten IL bonded titles on a couple of old cars, but they all had serial numbers , and each time it was more difficult then the time before.

This car is complete and the vin # is on the block on Fords of these years.
He also has a bill of sale from Arkansas which they didn't issue titles before 1949, plus he has an id od. They changed their mind set about a month ago and refuse to register it without a title in hand.
I have never had any problem titling my vehicles until now.

New year, new rules. If he recently bought the car out of Arkansas, can he get the required new paperwork from them?

Can you maybe go to a different licensing office (maybe the next county over) and try again, maybe it is just the people at the office to are trying. Some state offices don't like to do anything out of the ordinary.

I used to play around with Japanese import cars. Getting them titled used to be a PIA. I used to go to 2-3 DMVs before I found one that would run the paperwork.

I have done the purchasing a title thing a bunch. I don't loose sleep over it hahaha

I have done the purchasing a title thing a bunch. I don't loose sleep over it hahaha
Several states are checking the numbers on the titles against the numbers on the cars these days. IL being one of them, if the car (title) is from out of state, the odds of needing a vin verification are about 50/50 now.
Numbers that don't jive are bad news, that is a fed crime these days.

Several states are checking the numbers on the titles against the numbers on the cars these days. IL being one of them, if the car (title) is from out of state, the odds of needing a vin verification are about 50/50 now.
Numbers that don't jive are bad news, that is a fed crime these days.
With everything else going on in the world today if they're really worried about some guys building hot rods and trying to title them they have bigger issues. Our state doesn't require a VIN verification if you have a title.

All they're doing is making it harder for people to keep older cars on the road and it's absolutely ridiculous. They're worried about money and that's it. There's been talk in our state about charging people per mile they drive because they're losing revenue from the electric vehicles because they're not getting gas tax out of them. They think people don't register cars now. Wait till they do that b.s.

The bad thing about not having the numbers match on paper and metal is if some smartass cop runs your numbers and they don’t show up or worse yet show up stolen, then you got problems. Only way those historical documents are any good is if you can stick those numbers on your metal. But the Feds don’t think too highly of you doing that, they might take your ride and you to the pokey….

Latest posts

Back