What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installation

OK its not rat rod or car related.

But what I got done this weekend is installed bees into two new hives.

Attachments

• bees.jpg
    bees.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 12
  • bees1.jpg
    bees1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 10
  • bees2.jpg
    bees2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 11
Friday I drove up to Tampa and picked up my headers. Saturday, I went to a storage auction and bought a unit. I got a few saleable items in there, a really nice 3 wheel electric mobility cart, a small air compressor, a Delta table saw, a Troy-Bilt pressure washer, a DJ set up with speaker towers, amps, and dc setup, plus some other stuff.

I won't get rich on it ,but it was fun going and bidding.

Don

I did some chassis work on my buddy's '37 coupe project. (No pictures, but trust me, it happened!)

I'll start a build thread shortly...

Friday I drove up to Tampa and picked up my headers. Saturday, I went to a storage auction and bought a unit. I got a few saleable items in there, a really nice 3 wheel electric mobility cart, a small air compressor, a Delta table saw, a Troy-Bilt pressure washer, a DJ set up with speaker towers, amps, and dc setup, plus some other stuff.

I won't get rich on it ,but it was fun going and bidding.

Don

I've wanted to check out one of those auctions. Were there a lot of people? Did you spend much? How many units for sale?

I finally got out to the shop and did some work! Rebuilt the windshield frame for the 39. Talked to the glass guys. Need to order seals for the frame. I was hoping to just glue it in the opening, but the way it works, that won't work. All the hinges and operating mechanism were beyond repair when I got it. Too expensive to replace. Now I am thinking just get the new seals and gaskets, and make some kind of tabs to hold it in place. Back to the drawing board.

I finally got out to the shop and did some work! Rebuilt the windshield frame for the 39. Talked to the glass guys. Need to order seals for the frame. I was hoping to just glue it in the opening, but the way it works, that won't work. All the hinges and operating mechanism were beyond repair when I got it. Too expensive to replace. Now I am thinking just get the new seals and gaskets, and make some kind of tabs to hold it in place. Back to the drawing board.

I didn't have a frame and didn't want to deal with leaks anyways, so I urethaned the glass directly into the cab without a windshield frame.

I've wanted to check out one of those auctions. Were there a lot of people? Did you spend much? How many units for sale?

I have gone to about 4 auctions at this place in the past, and each time, my Sons threaten to take my car keys away so I won't drag home more junk ! :eek:

I've never gotten rich from the stuff inside, but I have broken even a couple of times and also gotten some tools I could use.......like 3 large torch tanks and stuff like that. One unit I bought about a year ago had one of those electric mobility carts in it (similar to the one I just got in this new unit) and it sold for $ 500, but I had to put two new batteries in it.

I paid $ 689 for the unit I just bought Saturday, plus about a hundred bucks to rent a 12 foot truck from them to get the stuff home. I have a shot at getting my money back, especially since there was a very nice electric mobility cart in this one, plus a Delta table saw, Craftsman router, a DJ setup with speaker towers, amps, etc.

There was a 24 footish boat on a trailer there that went for only $ 250, but I passed because I would have to find a place to put it and I have enough projects right now as it is.

The stuff you see on those TV storage war shows are baloney. They always "find" some rare, expensive item hidden in the units, but I have never been that lucky. Mainly, I just go for the entertainment value, and it is fun opening boxes and seeing what you got.

There were probably 20 people there, some of them dealers that I see at every auction. This time they had 5 units for auction, usually there are 6-8 units. A couple of years ago, I passed on a unit I should have bought. It went for $ 1000 and was a 10 x 20 that had so many Edsel parts in it that you couldn't walk through it. The guy .had to be a collector or in the business because there were stacks of dashboards, seats, engine parts, wheels, and in one corner a huge stack of chrome strips. It would have taken time to research all the parts, but some good money could have been made if someone took that time.
Don

Last edited:
I've always wondered about those! Are they blind auctions of stalls with unpaid bills or do you get to preview what there is inside before bidding?

They unlock the door and you get to look inside (but not enter) A flashlight helps and you only get a few seconds to look as other people are in line behind you. Then they close the door and the start taking bids. You have to go to the office and preregister and you get a number/.

Generally, you have to remove everything in a day or so, and they sometimes charge a deposit of like $25 that you get back if you are out and it is clean. You should take a padlock with you to put on until you get all the stuff out.

Personal effects, like family pictures, etc can be left with the office, and they try to get those to the people who lost the unit.

Tonight Dan and I cleaned up some of the stuff I got in there, and I got them listed on Craigslist. I might break even and end up with the pressure washer to keep for us to use. I had to put two new batteries in the electric 3 wheel mobility cart, but I had to do that on the last one I had too.

It is fun to go, and I look at it like going to Las Vegas. You never know what you might score.

Don

I finished a 'Krylon' rebuild on a '69 300 HP 350 I pulled out of a wrecked impala. I pulled the pan to check the bearings and piston skirts for wear, then buttoned it back up. Cleaned it up and painted it, rebuilt the carb, new points, plugs, wires. Fired it up, no smoke no bad noises. Now I need to find something to put it in or find somebody looking for an unmolested 300 Hp 350.

C10

1460952294284.jpg

1460953302406.jpg

1460958522248.jpg

1460953700928.jpg

1460953757189.jpg

1981 C10

Got the windshield in place still need locking ring. Ordered a new starter, got the wrong one as you see in the pictures. Ordered another one and it already came today! Worked on the fuel lines a little. Got the hood latch in and hood adjusted.
Little by little as we all know

52 fordman

I finally got the new novel off to the editor, so got some time to work on the '56. I got the Camaro subframe rebuilt, with all new bushings, etc. The 302/AOD is installed with new motor mounts and trans mounts fabricated and installed. I gave the engine a VHT tune-up, hoping it'll perform okay, seeing as how I have no funds for anything else. I had the headers, and bought a HEI distributor and a Gilmer-style belt and pulley setup. The Edelbrock Performer 289 manifold was in a shed, and I made my own version of a cold air induction from a Mr. Roadster scoop and some parts I fabricated. I still have a few million things to do, but it's nice seeing some progress. :)

Attachments

• DSCF2703.jpg
    DSCF2703.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF2709.jpg
    DSCF2709.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back