Edelbrock carb..anybody run one?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
The reason I ask is cuz I have run mostly Holleys and the other day I tried to start the wifes Mustang, it didn;t want to start so lookin around I find the accelerator pump isn't working. I pulled it apart and it's cruded up and the accelerator pump diaphram is cracked and brittle. I'm sure ethanol is the culprit. The Mustang doesn't get driven much so I use "Seafoam" with the gas but,!! so maybe the Edelbrock with the plunger style pump and simpler design can handle the ethanol better? ..[P

I totally moved away from Holley's to Edelbrock..

for a street motor.....Now that said, if I was running some sort of race car, I'd go back to holley due to being able to tune them better.. Edelbrocks run good right out of the box and very little is needed to make them run well and reliably... That said, there is more and more parts to tune these as well.... metering rods and jets and they are really simple...two pieces...bowl and air horn....so getting these to run well on a bigger race type motor might be very close to becoming a reality... I like them (edelbrock) for simplicity....but that is JMHO by the way, I have two on my 63 pontiac and one on the gmc I'm working on now....both run very well on out of the box carbs....

truck

got one on my truck, 327 mildly built SBC, with a Edelbrock 600 CFM and it handles it fine.

good response and decent mileage and no foolin' 'round with it like a Holley.

same with the 80 camaro we have, 350 SBC and 600 CFM Edelbrock, runs great.

for racing, always a Holley :D

Later:cool:

I've been using the Edelbrock AFB style carbs for quite a while. I find them to be less finicky and way more forgiving than the Holley carbs. That being said, I'm not a carb guru so I like the simplicity and "set it and forget it" usage that the Edelbrock provides on a regular streeter that I'm not trying to squeeze every last ounce of horsepower out of.

Like the others have said the Edelbrock carbs do great overall but in my opinion are ugly as crap. I use them but there's just something about an old leaky Holley.

If you get a new kit for the Holley it will hold up to the Ethygas.

in my opinion are ugly as crap. I use them but there's just something about an old leaky Holley.

Just a tip for the interested that do not care for the shiny silver coating of the Edelbrock; On my Anglia, I used the marine version and removed the Edelbrock badge from the front of it. Gave it a more utilitarian look.

For a street cruiser, I like the Edelbrock. For performance, I always use Holley. Since oy have the Holley, I would just get a rebuild kit.

Been running them for a few years...love em....you can keep every holley ever made...they suck in my book...nothing but trouble and agrivation.

Thanks guys...the reviews look good for the Edelbrock. Since the Mustang is a street car reliability not performance is what I'm needing I will try an Edelbrock on the Stang. Will probably rebuild the Holley and use it on something else or keep it for a backup. ..:D

I have a 600cfm Edlebrock on my 68 Mustang 302 (20mpg highway) and a 750 cfm Edelbrock on my 454 Chevelle (15mpg highway). Both run great. I have a 660cfm Street Avenger on my 1970 360 AMX. It runs great also (12mpg highway).

I'm definitely with the majority here..for a reliable driver, they can't be beat..on the BBC in my Chevy truck, I was playing around and swapped the tricked out Holley 850 double pumper to an out of the box 750 Edelbrock and the seat of your pants power decrease was very noticeable, but it started so much easier and idled a lot better..

I'm going to try two Edelbrock 600's on the tunnel ram in my F1 project..

I've quoted this old saying before..........." A Holley will win on race day but an Edelbrock will get you home from the track." I think that is very true. Holleys do produce more HP but Edelbrocks are something you just bolt on and forget about. One thing I know about Holleys is that they don't like a spec of dirt in the fuel. My Son Don was running a 700 on the 425 in his 65 Olds convertible and he spent many a date under the hood cleaning out some piece of trash that got lodged in there.

I have used Edelbrocks for the past 20 years and love em, and am running two 600 cfms on my 27 right now. No bog, no lag, no problems. It drives on the street like it had a 2 barrel on it.

27outsidepictures117.jpg

However, I have a 355 Chevy motor that I bought in a Camaro ex drag car and it came with a Holley 750 DP, and I will use that carb because I plan on using that motor in some drag car.

Don

I'm with the majority on the Edelbrock/AFB's. Very reliable out of the box, simler to maintain. Both our '47's have 600s on them & have had not a speck of trouble. Had used them on my old street stocker & even my modified with good results.

I guess I am like everyone else. I had always ran Holleys on my drag and street cars. Edelbrock had a special a couple of years ago for a dual 4 intake, 2 600 carbs, air cleaner and other small parts. I finally talked myself into trying the Edelbrock carbs and have very pleased. They were good right out of the box. The CD that came with the carbs, which the info is on Edelbrocks site also, has tuning info that can get them dialed in. I would still run a Holley on a drag car but these Edelbrocks really work well.

I had the same problem with the accelerator pumps in both carbs. When I first installed them and ran the engine to break in the cam they worked fine. I ran out of gas so it set for a coupe of days before I got back to it. New gas and it would not start. Found both pumps bad. Instead of sending carbs back I just replace both pumps I think were about $6 bucks each and have had no problem since. Would definitely buy them again. Lots of tuning parts for them.

The same as above, I am not a "carb" guy (ie, not that smart). Out of the box the edelbrock was great, and has been good for 5 years with little adjustment.

That is exactly my problem, not that smart, so I love stuff that I don't have to fiddle with. I guess I could dial in my carbs but they are just fine for me the way they came out of the box.

Don

Carburators

the reason i ask is cuz i have run mostly holleys and the other day i tried to start the wifes mustang, it didn;t want to start so lookin around i find the accelerator pump isn't working. I pulled it apart and it's cruded up and the accelerator pump diaphram is cracked and brittle. I'm sure ethanol is the culprit. The mustang doesn't get driven much so i use "seafoam" with the gas but,!! So maybe the edelbrock with the plunger style pump and simpler design can handle the ethanol better? ..[p

the elderblock is the best bolt on carburator out out the box holleys are not i use them on all my cars sit all winter and no problems

Latest posts

Back