Transmission help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldrodder43

Hello all. I have a question (or two)! I removed an overdrive auto transmission from a chevy S-10 p/u that had a 4.3 L engine. Now I'm thinking about getting a 283 engine. Will that tranny hold up behind the 283? I think it is a 4160 (?). thanks, perley

Thanks for the reply 42 chevy. I actually found out today that it is a 700R4, and not the 4l60 as I thought. It came from an '89 Chevy S-10 pickup truck behind a 4.3.
I've spent quite a lot of time on the internet today chasing info on this question. I found the ID numbers on the tranny and found definitive info on decoding. So I guess that will do behind the 283, as I ran one behind a 1989 chevy van with a 5.7. This is a long time future project (if ever) so no pucker on any of it. I don't even have anything to put it in nor any thought as what I might look for. I am in the middle of my Essex build and going into year 5. I foolishly thought that I could get it on the road in a year! Ahhaaa, yeah, OK. perley

Now I've got another question---The torque convertor has a tag stuck on it that has the number 8653702. Can someone help me figure out what it is, stall etc.? perley

Most of the 4.3 and 2.8 s-10's and 15's

had 15 to 1600 stall speeds with either 3.42 or so rear gears.... if my memory serves me ...... I believe that if you check with GM that number will be for a 4.3, S10 with 3.42 gears and 700r4 trans.....Hope that helps at all....[S

You can have the converter cut open and the stall raised, 2000 is pretty much all you'll get or need as the low gear in the 700r-4 is like 3.06 to 1 which is 20% lower than most other transmissions.

Jim

Thank you sgtpontiac and old iron! Why would I increase the stall speed? Is it because the unit would kick in before the engine develops sufficent RPMs? Sgt, the unit did come from an '89 chevy S-10 pickup that had a 4.3 engine. I don't know what the rear end gearing was. But I don't have a rear axle yet, nor even a project yet. This is all something for the future (maybe), if I ever get done with my Essex build. Into the 5th year now with it. sigh! It's either no money OR no time. OR lack of enthusiasm! haahaa
And of course a lot has to do with the winter temps and no heat in my makeshift garage. Thanks again. perley

Perley, I think that trans and convertor would work fine as is. Unless you are running a really hot cam it shouldn't be an issue at all. I'd just try it and go from there.

Don

Thanks Don. I believe that thats what I will do when the time comes. I don't have any project for it right now and won't have until I get my Essex done, if ever! This is into my 5th year on it. whew.

The early 4l60 is a 700r4 if it has a cable which could be early 90's. The 4l60E is electronic. You can get the numbers off the right rear side on the pan rail. Decifer the code and it will give you the year it is. Early 700r4's had a 27 spline shaft and the later ones had 30 spline shaft. The later ones were stronger and included some updates and they did have alot of updates. The 700r4's in an S10 had lighter components 1 in mind is I believe less discs in the clutch packs. The better 700r4/4l60 are from 85 or 86 and up. The 4l60 was at first just a designation change and was phased in on different models in different years up around 93. Some of the first 4l60E were phased in in the early 90's. So if has a TV cable it could be designated 700r4 or 4l60 depending on the year.

Latest posts

Back