A few boring pics of slow progress on the 59

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
The truck

I got the whole mouse habitat cleaned out of the cab, pressure wash, wire brush, rust kill and paint behind the tank. Clean it good and re-install with new float, Hose and filler boot, repair the broken wire and fish back through the windshield post. Remove the instruments and cleaned everything up good, all new dash bulbs, repaint the faces and needles. Remove dimmer switch, dis-assemble, clean.
Now ALL the lights and gauges work, even the cancellers. All new hoses, fuel pump, carb rebuild, cap, wires,plugs,points, Clutch master and slave.
The first run up with coolant and and the water pump pukes. No more money for it this month. So now we wait.

Love the Montana dual gun racks. They stay

Looking good WB! Looks like a vintage 23 Channel cb under the dash. The farmer that owned that truck went prepared, twin gun racks, never saw that before!

I know the feeling on waiting.:( My semi has been in and out of the shop all during June, put it back in today, hopefully they get it fixed this time. Sure cutting down my play money. So, I'm taking stuff off the Lincoln, maybe one of these days I'll get enough to put it back together.:(

I hate it when the Project Mason jar is empty. Nice thing that sand paper & paint are cheap and labor is free. It is motivating to get things clean-up & working right.

Looks great so far.
[cl

Temporary situation. Just need to sell something. Plus like Ironrat said, lots I can do without the next infusion of money. After the 4th, I'll throw some stuff on ebay if I have to.

Well, I had a guy who owed me money come by last week so I have a water pump coming. Very hard to find, nothing available except a few NOS ones scattered around the country and I had to pay $169 with shipping. Pickup/truck 292 are different than car FYI. I must have chased 100 leads to dead end or waters that were so murky I couldn't trust the info. Part numbers that should be right crossing back to the car pump, stuff like that. Even the places that show to have the right one (like Summit) actually didn't have one or any way to get one.

Plugging away, clean and rust prepped some more of the floor. Also decided I might as well pound in some new freeze plugs, glad I did, one was half gone and only the years accumulation of crud holding the coolant in. Had to pull the starter to get at one and noticed a little fuzz in there. Pulled the dust cover and found the other half of my seat in there. Spent an hour blowing mouse nest and poo out of my clutch. Probably didn't help that I've been running it. Doubt if it woul;d have went far with all that mess in the clutch.

I didn't know the car and truck engines were different. That's great info. Glad you were able to find a pump!

That's why I like old Fords. You just can't take anything for granted and it's always a challenge. I always tease my Chevy friends that anyone can work on a Chevy but it takes a real mechanic to wrench on a Ford,lol. Ford even changes stuff in the middle of the year just to keep it interesting.

In Ford land all 352s turn into 390s.
(My 350 came from a 67 Chevelle... well, ran the #s, 74 Impala. Same thing right?)

Ford would sometimes use leftover parts from previous years in the middle of a truck run back then. Nothing was set in stone and no #'s matching games.

So LMC truck didn't have the long shaft pump either? Good to know they are hard to find. I might be rebuilding mine.

In Ford land all 352s turn into 390s.
(My 350 came from a 67 Chevelle... well, ran the #s, 74 Impala. Same thing right?)

Ford would sometimes use leftover parts from previous years in the middle of a truck run back then. Nothing was set in stone and no #'s matching games.

So LMC truck didn't have the long shaft pump either? Good to know they are hard to find. I might be rebuilding mine.

You got that right Sam. The engine in my 33 is out of a 76 f150 so it should be a 360 but one guy at a show last night asks about the engine and is looking at the heads and says they're stamped for a 390 from a 68 car. So anymore, I have no clue what the engine is, not that it matters much and it runs well enough that I don't need to pull it apart to measure the crank throws.

But hey, good to know the truck is coming along Willowbilly.

Ole Henry didn't believe in wasting anything. The wood scraps from Model T's were turned into charcoal briquets and sold. They still follow his lead...left over parts are used on next years models, parts are changed mid year sometimes more than once, some parts are used forever it seems.

WB, where is the 4X4 stick? I don't see it in the pics, maybe I am overlooking it?

I met up with an old classmate last night who still has his 62 vette that we bombed around in back in the 70s. I always teased him it was like a Chevy junkyard, 56 chevy window cranks, early 50s Chevy front A arms. I can't remember the others but there was several parts from older cars on them.
Car has been tore apart for 35 years now and we were hounding him last night to get after it.

Latest posts

Back