1941 Ford COE

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

Hey guys I need a little help confirming the year on this Ford COE I picked up today. There is no Vin # plate that I can find but in the front crossmember there is a number stamped *2G10620* The lady I bought it from swears it a 41. Once I get it home I will post some pictures.

Could be a Canadian thing... with a different code/number system. (If that's the case, information can be hard to find.)

If you're lucky and the drivetrain is original, the serial # should be stamped on top of the bellhousing. (If it's the same as your crossmember #, the mystery begins.)

Looking forward to your pictures... sort of... I might hate you if it's too pretty...

Ahhh, didn't think about the Canadian thing, it might be different.:rolleyes:

Y'all just had to do things different up there to make matters more complicated, didn't you? [ddd:D

Took me 8 hours to get the tire problem sorted out ant he the truck towed home. As soon as the tow bar was unhooked the rain started and it's pouring out. Hopefully get some good pics up tomorrow.

Turn signal look kinda like military units I've seen. Hooded, small running lamp to not be seen from airplanes. Might not be, but do favor them.
Truck looks solid. Does the flathead run? I bet with the 3+4 that thing could almost climb a tree!

Turn signal look kinda like military units I've seen. Hooded, small running lamp to not be seen from airplanes. Might not be, but do favor them.
Truck looks solid. Does the flathead run? I bet with the 3+4 that thing could almost climb a tree!

I tried to turn it over but it's locked up. It's only got a 4 speed after further examination.

Nice find!

I did a little research on your number *2G10620*... difficult as one might expect... anyhow, it would seem apparent, Ford of Canada implemented a number system to coincide with war production, beginning Nov 1 1939 as the following excerpt implies...

An example of a Canadian Ford engine number is : 4G - 16180 - F
The '4' indicates 1943. ( 1 is 1940, 2 is 1941, 3 is 1942, 5 is 1944 etc )
'G' indicates Mercury 32.5 h.p. with 4-speed box.
'F' indicates Right-Hand drive export.
'16180' is the actual serial.

1G models ran from 1G-175 to 1G-11500 spanning Nov 1 1939 to Oct 1 1940.
2G models ran from 2G-205 to 2G-48148 spanning Oct 1 1940 to Nov 1 1941.

... so, your crossmember number goes well with the second year (1941) of wartime production and should be the same as the bellhousing number, assuming it remains original to the truck. (I'd pull that cover and find out.) If the two numbers agree, this IS your serial/VIN without question.

SGI loves it when you know more than they do...

Nice find!

I did a little research on your number *2G10620*... difficult as one might expect... anyhow, it would seem apparent, Ford of Canada implemented a number system to coincide with war production, beginning Nov 1 1939 as the following excerpt implies...

An example of a Canadian Ford engine number is : 4G - 16180 - F
The '4' indicates 1943. ( 1 is 1940, 2 is 1941, 3 is 1942, 5 is 1944 etc )
'G' indicates Mercury 32.5 h.p. with 4-speed box.
'F' indicates Right-Hand drive export.
'16180' is the actual serial.

1G models ran from 1G-175 to 1G-11500 spanning Nov 1 1939 to Oct 1 1940.
2G models ran from 2G-205 to 2G-48148 spanning Oct 1 1940 to Nov 1 1941.

... so, your crossmember number goes well with the second year (1941) of wartime production and should be the same as the bellhousing number, assuming it remains original to the truck. (I'd pull that cover and find out.) If the two numbers agree, this IS your serial/VIN without question.

SGI loves it when you know more than they do...

Thanks a bunch for the info Doc, it doesn't take much to know more than SGI.

Ooooh, I can see so much potential in that
thing. And yeah, the turn signals are the coolest.

Me too.

Thanks a bunch for the info Doc, it doesn't take much to know more than SGI.

My pleasure.

I would find that bellhousing number and charge down to your local issuer. (Last I knew, a bill of sale with a serial# will register a vehicle as "antique" without inspection or further discretion.)

Latest posts

Back