The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Square hood or swoopy hood??? Ginger or Maryanne??? I like the idea of having a two seater with a cover (to cover passenger side when not in use) also beats having to straddle drive shaft with a solo setup... Keep it simple and have fun...

Off topic: how big is that shop you have... Wow, looks huge... I only have 1 car garage...

Off topic: how big is that shop you have... Wow, looks huge... I only have 1 car garage...

I don't have a shop. Dad has a 70' x70'. I drive 250 miles each way to go play with stuff a couple of weekends a month.

It is a bad ass place to go play. When you need to take a break and think...there is a pond 50 ft to the left that has tons of fish in it.

He didn't get to build his until right before he retired from work. Hopefully I will get one sooner.

IM000261.JPG

garage.jpg

ya like side by side seating, no rear 3rd seat. Roadster coupe whatever. I like the idea of covering the passenger side seat when not in ue too. Give it that vintage racecar look. Ya keep the long nose. I think it will look really sleek being that low and long. Maybe im wrong.

ya like side by side seating, no rear 3rd seat. Roadster coupe whatever. I like the idea of covering the passenger side seat when not in ue too. Give it that vintage racecar look. Ya keep the long nose. I think it will look really sleek being that low and long. Maybe im wrong.

Keep the comments coming. I like getting second and third opinions. It helps me work through some of the design issues. I was almost hoping you had an idea for a roof :)

The fact that I am building it using mostly existing shapes can be a bit of a pain. I wish I had an english wheel and knew how to make panels from scratch.

This thing is so un-like anything I have ever thought of building. It should be a "head scratcher" when finished. The rear quartes look like they were meant to be that way.

Last edited:
Keep the comments coming. I like getting second and third opinions. It helps me work through some of the design issues. I was almost hoping you had an idea for a roof :)

The fact that I am building it using mostly existing shapes can be a bit of a pain. I wish I had an english wheel and knew how to make panels from scratch.

This thing is so un-like anything I have ever thought of building. It should be a "head scratcher" when finished. The rear quartes look like they were meant to be that way.

Oh ya im sure its some what of a pain, and a lot of planning. I think you can buy a cheap english wheel on ebay. They have all sorts of neat tools on there for a pretty good price

As for the roof now thats a difficult question. Maybe an aluminum removable top? Kinda like the carbon fiber ones you can get for a Honda S2000. You could make it low and have it clip into place.

Or wear a helmet and goggles. Id opt for that. That will give the authentic race look.

What are you going to run for a windshield? let me know what your thinking and Ill think about it more.

Flipper maybe you could lay everything you've got together and have some of the guy's photoshop some of these ideas I'm sure it would jar some of you're natural instincts. I don't know how or I would do it.

Flipper maybe you could lay everything you've got together and have some of the guy's photoshop some of these ideas I'm sure it would jar some of you're natural instincts. I don't know how or I would do it.

What I have are shapes buried in door skins, roofs and hoods (cadillac and 2 different jaguars). It would be hard to use actual pieces to photoshop with. Basicly just junk right now.

caddy-parts-web.jpg

"I was almost hoping you had an idea for a roof "

Roof? Roof? You don't need no stinkin roof!...

Have you ever seen pictures of Jay Leno's hot rod? The Blastolene Special - Super long boat tail speedster style - but with a tank engine...

For some reason I am not able to insert pics... maybe someone else can figure out how to provide pics... Or do a Google image search for Jay Leno Hot Rod...

Also checkout other projects by the Blastolene Brothers... Maybe you will get some ideas...

I figured it out, here are some pics of Jay Lenos - Blastolene Special...

Oh now I see, you are probably already familiar with the Blastolene Special, hence the name Roofus Special... Anyway someone else might enjoy pics...

Attachments

• tankcar_1.jpg
    tankcar_1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Leno 3.jpg
    Leno 3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 66
  • tankcar_9.jpg
    tankcar_9.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 89
  • tankcar_15.jpg
    tankcar_15.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 58
I figured it out, here are some pics of Jay Lenos - Blastolene Special...

Oh now I see, you are probably already familiar with the Blastolene Special, hence the name Roofus Special... Anyway someone else might enjoy pics...

I've actually got one of those tank motors!. I bought it off of ebay. I was going to put it in a firetruck.

IM0006894x4.jpg

Now I know you can buy anything on Ebay!

It was amazingly cheap too (less than a grand)....only bad part was driving through the night to Rochester, NY to pick it up. Good part was the kids got to see Niagra Falls at 6:30 in the morning when we had the park to ourselves.

It filled up the bed of my F-250
bigmofosaturday.jpg

Dang that is cool. and a good price too. Ya Niagra in the mornign is awesome. Its been a long time snce I was there last but we drove in about 6 am

Latest posts

Back