The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude... you are very creative I'll have to give you that.... I can't wait to see how this build turns out... Mad props to you..
thumbsup2.gif

By the way.. I can't see a firetruck in that last picture, just that 5 window hang from the celling..
wub.gif

Dude... you are very creative I'll have to give you that.... I can't wait to see how this build turns out... Mad props to you..
thumbsup2.gif

By the way.. I can't see a firetruck in that last picture, just that 5 window hang from the celling..
wub.gif

I bought that model A in 1994 for $400 with the intent of building a salt flats style car along the lines of the chrisman coupe. That didn't go much farther than buying an old more-drop axle set-up and a set of dodge brothers 17" artilery wheels...no frame or anything. Then it was built up as a monster truck/woods buggy on 54" rice and canes on rockwell axles. It got so wild that I figured out that none of my friends could play the places I would be playing...if i got stuck, they couldn't get anywhere close to where I was :(. So I tore it back down again. I still have the rocks and the tires to build some sort of buggy.

The model A will be mounted on a 32 frame someday.

I lean toward the peak also I think you need some shape there. Opening the radius on the corners really helped. Judging by the pictures I think you're looking VERY good. My opinion. Just one other thing ,if you do go with a peak I think I would peak at the cowl down to no peak at the grill.

I'm kinda with Rainman on that. Definitely peak, and if you can pull it off, lose the peak at the grill.

Oh yeah - this build amazes me.

I lean toward the peak also I think you need some shape there. Opening the radius on the corners really helped. Judging by the pictures I think you're looking VERY good. My opinion. Just one other thing ,if you do go with a peak I think I would peak at the cowl down to no peak at the grill.

Looking at this pic, I need to open up the radius some more and get closer to the radius on the boat-tail. I will look at it the next time I go to dad's house.

IMG_0032.jpg

Wow, now that is coming together. I like the red, makes it look like a race car. I really like how this is taking shape

Here are a couple more pics that show the overall shape of the body a little better.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

I gotta spend a day cleaning up, the shop looks BAD in pics.

All of the sudden, I think rounded cowl and hood tops may be the way to go.

I don't know exactly what this car is, but I love it.

P1050445.jpg

I have to admit flipper, I really like the look of your shop! That's my idea of a well equipped garage! Full of years of simple accumulation. Is that a Model A body along the back wall? Also, whats that lurking just behind the roofus special under the cardboard??

T1

I have to admit flipper, I really like the look of your shop! That's my idea of a well equipped garage! Full of years of simple accumulation. Is that a Model A body along the back wall? Also, whats that lurking just behind the roofus special under the cardboard??

T1

The model A coupe is actually hanging from the ceiling.

The truck behind the baottail is a 1938 Seagrave firetruck. There are 3 other Seagraves in there too.

I thought it looked like a Model A. Do the Seagrave's have V12's in them? Really cool old trucks regardless.

T1

The 1938 has a chevy 409 with a granny low 4 speed in it
The 1940 has a Seagrave straight eight in it ...490 cubic inches or so.
The 1947 has a Seagrave 906 cubic inch V-12 (to be replaced by the 1,790 cubic inch tank motor)
The 1950 has a Seagrave 530 cubic inch V-12

I figured at least one of Seagraves probably had a V12. What are your plans for the V12 from the 47? Is it a running or salvagable engine? Just curious to know?

Thanks,

Thunder1

I figured at least one of Seagraves probably had a V12. What are your plans for the V12 from the 47? Is it a running or salvagable engine? Just curious to know?

Thanks,

Thunder1

It windowed the block. Still holds water, so it might be repairable. I haven't felt motivated enough to tear into it. The big @ss four speed that is behind it looks big enough to go behind the 1,790.

Good lawd! Is that the same kind of engine that's in those Blastolene cars (Jay Leno has one)?? Aircooled!? Crazy.

I read an awesome article on one of those cars. The author said he didn't know what was happening faster - being deafened or being roasted alive!

That car had an Allison auto from a bus that shifted "with the smoothness of two boxcars crashing together". Haha, love it!

Good lawd! Is that the same kind of engine that's in those Blastolene cars (Jay Leno has one)?? Aircooled!? Crazy.

I read an awesome article on one of those cars. The author said he didn't know what was happening faster - being deafened or being roasted alive!

That car had an Allison auto from a bus that shifted "with the smoothness of two boxcars crashing together". Haha, love it!

This the same model.

810 horsepower, 1560 ft lbs of torque @2600 rpms.....stock!

Each one, supposedly cost $100,000 in 1953. They were engineered by Chrylser and built by Continental (now General Dynamics). They are overhead cam, roller liftered, aluminum block HEMIs

Definetly cool a piece of machinery. I got my money's worth even if I never use it.

A guy on the H A M B was able to get ahold of a copy of a real factory/military service manual. He mailed it to me, I made copies and mailed it back.

Sitting in my crew cab F-250
bigmofosaturday.jpg

Intake runner vs. 12 oz coke can
intakeweb.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. Judging from the load on that F250, you're going to need one helluva frame to support it, not to mention hold up to that kind of twist.

That would be a show-stopper for sure though.

Latest posts

Back