Patina looking paint jobs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

I got a 28 model A sedan I'm working on, it's going to be driven. I've seen some paint jobs that looked like paint fading through. Don't really know how to describe it, I'd like to look at some pics of different ideas you all have come up with. Just want something that won't show minor dings or whatever I miss on body work. I'm not blocking for hours and going through with all that crap. This one won't have fenders. I was going with a flatz Calif orange but got this idea in my head.

Sand off the "remaining" paint with a flap disc and let it rust.?

Easy peasy.

You want minimum work, there it is.

Do a google search, there's 100's of images , a lot with work done badly, in my opinion.

two or three different color layers and scotchbrite one or two off to the underlying colors in normally high wear areas.

Old Iron's suggestion is a good one is easy to do, and easy to "adjust" if you want to change something. I've been doing this since the seventies, mostly on bikes and bike helmets.

Yep Old Iron is right on the money. You want to make sure those colours underneath are have a few coats so that you don't sand right through them. Oranges, reds, black, grey, etc. are common colours to use.

I'm leaning toward a sanded through patina paint job on my rpu too. I also do not want to make this one perfect, so the less body work the better. I think I am going to spray satin black first, then whatever top color I decide on, and scuff through in various areas to "age" it a little.

I have about 224 louvers on the bed cover, and I will probably do some scuffing on the tops of those to cut through too.

I like the look, and may shoot some satin clear over the top just for a little more protection.

Latest posts

Back