A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real nice looking coupler, that old farmer know how shows well.[cl[cl[cl

I have had some real PITA projects but not to the point of a night
in jail. :eek:

Keep at it, we are all looking at your progress. [P[P[P

I had to re-sandblast the seat and dash, because stray cats have been getting into the shop to eat my shop cat's food and to spray things that I wanted to stay clean. So, after a wee bit of welding on the seat, I cleaned these two big things and some little things and primed them.
I installed the belt pulley and the PTO safety shield. Do you see the puddle of oil under the back end of the tractor? Well I added the rear-end oil a few days ago and found I have a leak. It's the left hand brake so that will have to come apart again.

Attachments

• IMG_2749.jpg
    IMG_2749.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2750.jpg
    IMG_2750.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 16
Seems like all these all old tractors leak. My IH leaks at the axle end. My 8N loses engine oil, but no outside leaks and no smoke.

Now the throttle and linkage is three quarters done, and that's the hard bunch. They're tested, cleaned and primered.

Attachments

• IMG_2752.jpg
    IMG_2752.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2753.jpg
    IMG_2753.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 9
Yes 28, these 28 inch wheels are really hard to find, so I'm going to repair one and use them. I have a set of rough narrower 28 inch wheels that I can cut patches out of. On the weekend I sold an old steering column to a kid for his pickup so he's coming to help me take those wheels off that old tractor. He was 11 when he bought this pickup and now he's 12 or 13. He'll be somebody when he grows up.

Today, I realized that my throttle linkage gismos were working the wrong direction, so I spent the day making them go the other way. Easier said than done.

MM, real nice helping the youngster, not a lot of their generation into old cars, trucks or tractors. Nice when you find one that likes the old stuff. [cl[cl[cl
Be sure to show some rear rim repair pictures. Thanks & good building.

Cool that a kid is doing this stuff. Did you trade the column for the labor on the wheels? When my dad and nephew were pulling antique tractors I widened a couple set so they could flat the contact patch. I had hoops rolled at the welding shop in town.

Ya Kenny, I traded him. It's more important to me that I teach him that he has to earn his way through life, than to take his last thirty dollars.
I would like to have the wheels one inch wider but I'm going to see what they look like on the tractor, first.
28, I will show pictures, but I haven't repaired fluid induced rust holes before, only broken metal rips. Lots of old tractor wheels need patches around the valve stem hole, where fluid calcium has leaked out.

It's like any rust repair. You have to cut out all the bad and then a little more. You've got to get to where there is no porosity that has moisture from the calcium drawn into it.

Caylem, my young friend was down today to work for me. We got the 11x28" wheels off the tractor and hauled to the shop. The wheel that I thought was bad, was disgusting [see picture 3], and when we flipped it over the other rim was two thirds broken off, just from us laying it on the ground. So it is junk. On to plan 'B'. That took a few minutes, [getting plan 'B'].I had a pair of rough 10x28" wheels that I was going to cut patches out of, so I will split the best, poor one all the way around and split the poorest poor one and inch wider but also all of the way around and weld the two widest parts together, ----I think.

Attachments

• IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2756.jpg
    IMG_2756.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2757.jpg
    IMG_2757.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 17
Sounds like you have good plan. Tell the youngin That your friends say thanks for helping the old fart. And to pay attention, You can learn a lot from the old timers.

Tell Claylem thanks from all us old farts, we love young strong bucks & good luck with his old truck project.[cl

Those rims put new meaning to the word "Ruff"
Your welding skills should be top notch when you get them together, might be already. :eek:

Well Guys, I will tell him that he was a hit with my forum fellows. He knows that I took one picture of him at least, to put on the builders forum.
Today I got a couple of tires off the rims and cleaned one rim up pretty good so I could see what I had. It's the one I'm going to widen, but I'll also have to patch it around the valve stem hole. The picture is the wheel that I originally was going to patch, but changed my mind. Across the diameter from this rusty spot there is some pretty good metal, so that may be where my patch comes from.
My welding skills are mediocre at best, but there is quite a bit of practice coming in my near future. I am pretty good with the grinder.

Attachments

• IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back