off topic ford truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26Troadster

anybody here know anything about 93 ford f150 5.0 fuel injection? i'm lost on my grandson's truck and am about to pull my hair out.

flashing no code no check engine light. passenger side runs great but pull any plug wire on drivers side and it makes no difference. it's the 5.0 multi port injection. it was a gradual thing as it started with a slight miss and over a two to three week area it went down on the drivers side. i did have to replace one injector and it is on the side that is not working. i'm just short of pulling it and putting a chevy 305 700r4 in it but my grandson knows nothing about cars/trucks. uses the i don't know what i'm doing, i told him none of us did when we started. i really don't want to pull it but i can't seem to figure it out. it has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and o2 sensor.

bobby i have thought about changing the intake. i'll have to try to find one. the only thing i worry about do that is the aod trans.

bobby i have thought about changing the intake. i'll have to try to find one. the only thing i worry about do that is the aod trans.

It's not that hard, you can buy ready made brackets and cables or do like I did and modify stock stuff. The main thing is the carb linkage bracket--you want the TV cable to move exactly the same amount as the gas cable, but in the opposite direction. I used a stock cable, made a bracket to mount it to the intake, and then I fabbed up a bolt on arm for the carb that puts the TV cable the exact same distance from the carb throttle shaft as the throttle gas cable is in the opposite direction. If you look through my build pics I think there is a pic of the lever arm I made out of aluminum. Both cable connection points are exactly the same distance from the throttle shaft, so they move through the same arc. It's best to build a little adjustability into your cable bracket, a slot to move it works well, you want the TV cable to be snug at idle, but not tight, just no slack in it. Then if you have to adjust the shift points you can tighten the cable a bit or let off a smidge, better a little tight than too loose. Too loose will allow it to slip in gear, a no no, tight will just mean a quicker, firmer shift.

There is a factory carbed AOD combo, I can't remember what year it is right now off the top of my head, maybe 85? If you could find one of those you'd have the correct carb and TV cable brackets to do the swap with.

Having no idea what you've done so far, and at the risk of stating the obvious...

- Do you have power to the non-functioning injectors? You should have full battery voltage at each.

- Your computer pulses the injectors via connection to ground. Poor grounds are the source of countless issues. I don't know where your computer's ground terminal is, but I would find it and any others. (I suspect the wiper/radio death is a ground problem as well.)

Assuming you have power to the injectors and proper grounds, you might have a harness issue. You can test the harness (from the computer connector pins) for each injector's ground with an ohm meter. I can find that information if you want it...

I think Dr C is right, sounds like a ground issue. Make sure there is a ground strap from the engine to the battery as well as on to the body/firewall area.

what i'm finding out is these trucks have window/windshield leak problems so the wipers and radio may be a wet fuse box. which may lead to the running issue. still looking and testing.

what i'm finding out is these trucks have window/windshield leak problems so the wipers and radio may be a wet fuse box. which may lead to the running issue. still looking and testing.

Sounds like you may be in for some quality time with some wire brushes and WD40.

i hope we found the problem, i ordered a new ecm for it yesterday. he pulled the ecm out of the truck and it was wet and has some rust spots on it too. he had lost everything in the cab but the windows and lighter. it always helps when he gives more info other then the wipers and radio don't work. i'm real surprised the truck even ran at all.

Latest posts

Back