What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The batteries went south in my golf cart (no, I don't play golf) & Mrs Tripper bought me a new set for for my B-day! Got the old ones out, got the new ones in house & got the old ones returned to get the core charge back. Never realized how heavy those suckers are! Also got a new bat for the Chevelle while I was at it!

BoB

Attachments

• golf.JPG
    golf.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 20
Getting started

I pulled all of the bumpers, front sheet metal, and 390 out of my '56 Ford. Many of the fasteners were rusted to the point of failure, so I'm glad I'll be tilting the front end and not need the stock mounts. I should have the steering box/shaft and transmission out today, and may even get the frame cut to make way for the Camaro subframe.

Attachments

• DSCF2113.jpg
    DSCF2113.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF2106.jpg
    DSCF2106.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF2109.jpg
    DSCF2109.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF2111.jpg
    DSCF2111.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF2115.jpg
    DSCF2115.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF2126[1].jpg
    DSCF2126[1].jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF2127[1].jpg
    DSCF2127[1].jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 12
Angle cut the top corners of my aluminum Radiator so it will go further up in my grill shell. Should be able to run a 15" mechanical fan instead of electric.

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

The fill will be cut off because a remote fill is being used.

More carnage...

Well, now I'm committed.. ;) I got the trans out, had to cut the crossmember and trans mount out because they were welded to the frame. There is(was) some scary stuff going on with this car! I pulled the steering column, the steering box, got the initial cut done on the frame. Now to level/plumb everything and make the final cuts in preparation for installing the Camaro stub. Not a bad weekend's work for an old fat guy. LOL

Attachments

• DSCF2147.jpg
    DSCF2147.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF2135 - Copy.jpg
    DSCF2135 - Copy.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF2140.jpg
    DSCF2140.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF2141.jpg
    DSCF2141.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF2144.jpg
    DSCF2144.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF2146.jpg
    DSCF2146.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 10
Had a bunch of stuff in the queue & have been waiting to get the Edchero off the trailer & in the shop! Today I finally got that sucker off... now gotta get it in the lineup! My goal is to take it to Lonestar Round Up next year! [dr

BoB

Attachments

• edchero.jpg
    edchero.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 11
Well, now I'm committed.. ;) I got the trans out, had to cut the crossmember and trans mount out because they were welded to the frame. There is(was) some scary stuff going on with this car! I pulled the steering column, the steering box, got the initial cut done on the frame. Now to level/plumb everything and make the final cuts in preparation for installing the Camaro stub. Not a bad weekend's work for an old fat guy. LOL

I like what your doing and impressed with the speed. [cl
The cutting up part is always the most fun, and the point when you go "ok cut it you sc" That was me cutting the top off 71 gmc sprint.

Keep it up and thanks for the updates, waiting for more [cl

I like what your doing and impressed with the speed. [cl
The cutting up part is always the most fun, and the point when you go "ok cut it you sc" That was me cutting the top off 71 gmc sprint.

Keep it up and thanks for the updates, waiting for more [cl

Thanks for the kind words! Now that I feel like working again, I need to do all I can on the weekends if anything is going to happen. I want to get the subframe under it, get the engine, trans, and radiator in it so I can see how it runs. Then I can work on the tilt front end and all the other stuff that needs done. :)

Went to the transmission shop today and picked up the TH400 with switch pitch converter and didn't wait for the weekend. Went ahead and put it back.in the gasser.Screw the 100 degree temp. I'm ready to drive it again!

Sawed, cut, chisled, ripped fiberglas by hand off the vette between taking frequent cool down breaks. After the frame is almost completly refabbed it will become a street legal, single seat, center steer old time racer kind of a thing.

Last edited:
I got my flat bed decked and dumping on my parts chaser K3500...Only 3 months into a 2 week build...Oh and replaced the last 2 remaining steel brake lines with stainless...Yeah 1 blew out[S[;)

Made a jack plate out of .250 aluminum and repaired the transom on a friends boat

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 81
just more test miles, can't be to careful, gota check things out, close to a thousand and things are good. :rolleyes:
besides it was to hot to work, all most to hot to drive, today also, 102* right now. come on fall and winter, please. :(

I got the back bumper I made done yesterday afternoon. Now it just needs blasted and painted. Today I removed the original rear end (boy, those nuts on the u-bolts were tight!) and installed the disc brake 8.8. Tomorrow I start driving a truck for potato harvest, will be really busy for the next three weeks. I'm taking vacation time from my normal job so I can make some money for parts. :)

another project

This is not car related, and it's been more like an on and of
project all summer. Just thought I 'd share.....

I've had this old building on the back of the lot and it's been a
catch all and storage for years, also and eye sore sooooo....
it was either tear it down or try to fix it up a little....
one of the foundation walls was caving in so I supported the wall
tore it down and laid a new wall...windows all broken out
so I made some fake shudders . looking for a garage door
to better access the garage......

Latest posts

Back