Making wide whites

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I finally ground off a set for the first time. A little rough, not bad. It takes a light touch near the inside edge because you think there is more black to come off and you actually went through the white already, it's real thin there.

On the Daytripper... I painted them on with a brush & house paint! Cutting the side of the tire seemed scary to me! [ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

BoB

Attachments

• daytripperside.jpg
    daytripperside.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 28
Used to be you could go to a tire store and they had a machine that ground the sidewall to expose the white. Getting harder to find just like a tire store that will shave a tire to get it in round and balanced.
The last set that I ground I used a 36 grit disc on my DA. Sounds coarse but it turned out nice and smooth. Also had better control than with a grinder.
Torchie

It just depends on the tire. I've tried about 6 or 7 different kinds of tires now. A couple of them had a heavy layer of black over the white when you got toward the center. I decided to quit going inward because of it. The white stripe isn't the same width or position from brand to brand - fairly uniform between tires of the same brand though.

I used a 24 grit because it's what I had, a little aggressive probably. Then I went over them again with a surface prep disc to smooth them out and clean up where the black smeared onto the white. The rubber thickness seemed to not be consistent and in a few places went through the white on the edges.

Latest posts

Back