Battery prices!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

Looked at battery prices lately? WOW! :eek: I had to buy a battery for the wife's driver Expedition tonight, sticker shock! Cheapest one I could find was at Walmart, $109 for a 3 year full replacement, 2 year prorated warranty. Everywhere else was $120 or more for a one year replacement, 2 year prorated warranty. Outrageous! Just a few years ago, I was paying $50-60 for a 5 year battery, now they are double that. What has happened? EPA regs on lead? Something else? And cores are only worth $12? Looks like they would be half the price of a new battery if the lead was the high dollar thing. Just blew my mind a car battery is so high now. I only paid $120 apiece for my 1000 amp truck batteries two years ago, I bet they are over $150 a piece now.

No wonder I never have any money anymore, everything has went up but my salary. :mad:

Yeah, I paid $140.00 CAN for just an average battery last month - is it the price of lead? Environmental levys? Or just because of hype over the increasing use of electric power for vehicles??[S

Yep... they've been up there for several years! The cheapest place I've found is Sam's Club. Bought a killer battery for the Chevelle for about $100 & scored 6 6v batteries for my golf cart for $84. Believe me... that is CHEAP for golf cart batteries! I just use my cart for toolin' around our place & the charge lasts nearly 2 weeks. Used to have to charge my old ones every day! Stupid thing is all commodities are WAY down but battery prices remain high! Can you say... RIP OFF!?! [ddd:eek:[ddd

BoB

Not sure now but earlier this year I purchased one of the high priced deep cycle marine batteries for my boat at autozone and only paid 79+ change. They are usually one the higher priced batteries around here....The last one of the same brand lasted 8 years??? Been several months back but this year. The guys that recycle and buy cores around here only give 10 bucks for them. Maybe it's just the geographical area...?

That P.O.S. obama banned lead mining in the us back in his last term.
Currently all lead for batteries or anything else must come from recycling or foreign sources.
it was a dirty deal as the lead mining areas are aboriginally contaminated with lead. the stuff was just laying on the ground all over when they found the deposits

I buy refurbished batteries for $40. They work just as good as the rest.

Where I live, in the Philippines, batteries last two years tops. Best warranty is just two years too, conveniently..... If a new style sealed battery could be refurbished, the guys here would definitely be doing it, but they are so flimsily built nowadays it is impossible.

I guess the lead plates, if they even have lead in nowadays, is so thin it can't be re-used.

We need to start thinking about how to be making $40 an hour.
Cuz that's what i would need to cover what I could buy with my money 30 years ago working for 10.
I think Trump and Rand have the plan
have to get rid of the federal reserve and restore the public banks
reinstate the glass steagal act
And restore the laws preventing public capital (tax money) from being invested in private industries.
break up the monopolies
And I think Rand's flat income tax would eliminate the tax breaks for manufacturing overseas.
The transportation costs eat up most of what they save on labor. The tax is the incentive for offshoring jobs.I wonder how things would be today if we had won Ross Perot instead of captain NWO.

tires and a battery is the biggest cost of a build these days.

Oh yeah, I haven't even started on tires.....I had two of my casings retreaded just a couple of weeks ago,{semi tires, 295/75/22.5} cost nearly as much as a good set of Chinese made tires! And I need a new tire for the rear of my farm tractor, about $350 including the tube, $50 to mount it! Used ones are very few and far between, most people use them until they rot off like mine has done. I figure I'll mount it myself and save the $. Need to buy a set for my pickup too, probably just hunt down some used ones for it no more than I drive it.

There's a place here that sells rebuilt batteries for $29 and if you were unfortunate enough to have to buy 2 in the warranty time, you still would only have $60 in the two.

I just bought a battery with 650 Cranking amps at Atwoods for 39.99. I looked at Walmart 1st and almost every battery was $100+

Latest posts

Back