Patina? Love it or hate it?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
little known fact
patina is a fancy french word for rust:D

[cl
Where did you hear that one? (It's Italian, meaning coat, glaze, film, lacquer, or varnish.)
It comes from Latin paten, much like platen, which both mean "plate", as in the dish. Also think chrome, nickel, brass plating.
;)

plate↔plating↔platen↔paten↔patina

Language history - one of my hobbies. :eek:

[cl
Where did you hear that one? (It's Italian, meaning coat, glaze, film, lacquer, or varnish.)
It comes from Latin paten, much like platen, which both mean "plate", as in the dish. Also think chrome, nickel, brass plating.
;)

plate↔plating↔platen↔paten↔patina

Language history - one of my hobbies. :eek:

thats all fine and good
but who ya gonna believe
me your oldest and bestest pal
or some dusty old book?

I cleared my sedan with a matte clear. I did it to help seal the rust and maybe help preserve the car alittle longer. When i did it brought out details in in the old paint i never noticed. The is some old pin stripes showing through now, it also made the different colors pop alittle more.

This is the real deal!

I cleared my sedan with a matte clear. I did it to help seal the rust and maybe help preserve the car alittle longer. When i did it brought out details in in the old paint i never noticed. The is some old pin stripes showing through now, it also made the different colors pop alittle more.

Nice! Those are sweet looking rides. That's interesting about the clear coat making the colors show. It's like being wet, without being glossy.

I love that miniature corn shocker you have on the roof.

I stirred the pot real good with this thread, didn't I? [ddd[ddd

Good posts by all, I can understand each reason. Makes me kinda rethink my boundaries a bit. The rust look looks better on pre WWII stuff, the faded paint look on late 40's to late 50's stuff. Smallfoot's truck for example, it wouldn't look right with paint and looks great like it is, while my car wouldn't look right with rust or faded paint IMHO. But then again, I'm a lot like Billy, rust bugs me because I know it's slowly eating my ride away, so I want to get rid of it. :rolleyes:

Like I said at the start, no right or wrong answer, I figured everybody had their reason why they like this or that. I just wanted to find out some of them, and compare to my own thoughts. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my stuff, I want it to be the best it can be, even if I do the work. And I'm my own worse critic! :eek:

No apologies needed here Bama! It's been an interesting thread and as long as everybody realizes that what ever you believe in your case is and should be ok with others, everything is good. I don't think any of us would be comfortable in a strictly cookie cutter world. Thank God we all have our differences or this would be a real boring place....

W.B. my father had passed years ago and he got one of them things and he was told it was a cane cutter ??? I dont even know what a cane cutter would do , but its still in the bushes down there at his house. we had no clue it was a corn shocker .. but we didnt fool with the internet back then a lot to even find out ..

I belive its a corn planter, my grandpa farmed with it when he first started out. I like the rusty stuff as you can see

I stirred the pot real good with this thread, didn't I? [ddd[ddd

Good posts by all, I can understand each reason.

Like I said at the start, no right or wrong answer, I figured everybody had their reason why they like this or that. I just wanted to find out some of them, and compare to my own thoughts …..

Yes, great topic. I feel the same way. The whole idea of Hot Rodding is building your own vision of what YOUR car should be. What the other guy says is his opinion, in the end you are the one that owns your car.

Bare steel, Rust, Primer or Paint for me it's more about execution of the process. It's not what you do, it's how well you do it. ;)

Well said Iron Rat! I'm glad we have a great group of members here, who may like different styles and different things, we all get along and enjoy seeing what everybody else is doing. That's what makes RRR special over other places that flame you or even ban you for speaking your mind! [cl

its all good

I think it depends on the car ? some look good with patina and others look like they really need paint on them?

I just had my drag car painted. I bought all the paint and had the body ready other than final sanding and I got off cheap at $3300.00 Plus I did a lot of the grunt work too.

When I build my hot rod truck project next it will be painted with Flatz paint.
At $240.00 for the kit its hard to beat and looks great!

I do like the outside the box creativity of some of these rides[cl
After all that's what hot rodding is about!

My wife said one time at a show
I hate all these pastel colored perfect cars
They all look the same!
Well said baby
Well said...

After spending 40+ yrs,wearing out two shoulders 1 neck and
putting up with Arthur from trying my best to make everyone elses
rides slick and straight......I think mine will stay as they are(rough and rusty) and wear it proudly......while I still appreciate the efforts it takes to
build quality show stuff....

Preferred Rat.....

I like them looking " just dragged out of the bush".

Attachments

• ratsweet.JPG
    ratsweet.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back