Wife wants a gasser!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldblueoval

Next build is gonna start soon. Wife wants a gasser! Who am I to argue with such a smart women. Anyway, I've searched around for gasser builds on here and found a few but most don't go very far. Can anyone give me a link to a good gasser build so I can get some ideas and inspiration. Thanks in advance. RRR is the best![;)

1st build

This was our first Rod build together, 49 IH KB-1. Still driving the wheels off of it[;)

Attachments

• IMG_2675.jpg
    IMG_2675.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2748.jpg
    IMG_2748.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 38
Falcon gassers are easy. LOL
Early Econoline axle and steering.
Big Ford engine.
C-6 or 4-gear.
Narrowed 9" with long ladder-bars and those fat M/Ts off your KB1 in back.
Oh yea, you might want to add some structural improvements to the chassis while you are at it.

Done!

This sounds like great fun. I'll be watching. [cl

Thanks everybody!! I seem to fall into the same category as Bruno, he just has a way better beard![;)

I'm going theb gasser route on my 51 dodge. I've talked to several people that have them and done a lot of research and from what I've found out they can handle pretty decent and not ride as bad as you may think. Alignment, the way the steering is set up, springs and bushings are some of the problems that people screw up. They won't handle and ride like a Cadillac, but they don't have to be that bad. I can't say from experience, but hopefully by late spring, I can give you a update on that. How ever it turns out, they are just flat out cool though!

I called my '56 Plymouth "gasser-inspired", and it rode very well. We grafted in the whole front suspension from a Chrysler New Yorker with big disc brakes and torsion bars. I could adjust the height of the frond end easily, it rode, steered, and stopped extremely well. With the roll cage, fenderwell headers, and radiused rear wheelwells, it looked like an old gasser (they didn't all have straight axles, you know) and drove great.

I love period correct gassers but in reality, they were 1/4 mile cars, never meant for the street. Even a civilized (compromised) one is gonna wear on you pretty fast if you are planning to spent any time in it.
It's awesome that your wife is into it but if she's choosing it just because it looks cool, it'll probably end up for sale.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back