Ron Pope does it again !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I've mentioned before that Ron Pope (RPM on here) has done some parts fabrication work for me. He did the entire front and rear suspension for my (someday to be finished) altered project.

When he was here a few weeks ago, I gave him a cardboard template of a Hurst style motor mount I need to mount the sbc in my rpu project. He took it back with him to cut me one out of steel on his fancy/schmancy cutting thingie. Today the parts arrived and are exactly how I wanted them. :D

The piece at the bottom of the picture will be bent around the bottom of the large piece, and then I will make up some feet to go onto these pieces to go to my early Ford bisquit type mounts. It saved me so much cutting on the bandsaw and grinding to have Ron pop this out, and the cost is about what I would have had in some steel.

So, if any of you ever need some odd part made, I can't speak for Ron, but I think he would be happy to do it for you and save you as much time and work as he just saved me. Plus, he gets stuff done VERY fast, and the parts come out great. Money well spent.

Here is a picture of what I got from him today UPS. Big thanks, Ron.:)

Don

nice looking brackets.. having good equipment would definitely speed up the build process!

Nice to see you have graduated from the napkin drawing to actual card board templates Don! [cl

Yea having those cutting thingys sure is handy...[P

Nice work Ron

Good stuff Don, it's great to have friends who are honest and fair
and even better when they have a fancy cutting machine[ddd[ddd
just kidding Ron....parts look great.......

Don thanks for the kind words.

The next round will be even easier. Thos big card board pattern are too big to scan, so we had the measure them then redraw them. Well not any more yesterday we purchased a digital drawing board. Lay that cardboard template on the table and trace around it with the pen and wala you have a DXF drawing to cut by. So some of the bigger things we could not do, we will be able to now. The table it 24 x 36 so stuff like header flanges will be a piece of cake off of a gasket. Front motor plates like we did for Don will be easy and rear block plates and mid engine mounts. It should be here by the end of the week.

A quick look at how that will work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFbmbcizkmU

That's a pretty slick digital drawing board. I've spent countless hours converting images to DXF files. I think my bride will buy me one of those.
She just needs some prodding in the right direction.

I haven't been able to do anything on my rpu since spring because we tore my Sons rpu down in July to have a new motor built for it, and for the past 4 months we have been getting the bugs out of it. We finally got it running perfect, so now I have Dan back to do my welding for me and I can get back on my own projects. :D

The first thing I had to do was get the motor mount plates that Ron cut out for me welded up. It took us a couple of days because we had to make some changes in it...........not because of anything Ron did wrong (his stuff was perfect) but it was my own cardboard template that was a little off. Plus, Dan loves to re-engineer stuff that I have made, and he always seems to find a better way to do it. We also moved the engine over to the right for some steering box clearance, so the mount is slightly longer on the drivers side now.

So, we trimmed the mount up a little and he got it tigged up for me last weekend. I love the way it came out, and the plates Ron cut for me made it so much easier than doing it on a bandsaw. I am going to take it to the powder coater my next day off and have it done in gloss black.

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished mount:

Don

Latest posts

Back