Things we remember,

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, ha, coffee. I acquired the taste working in a gas station for 3-12. It was Jack'n the Box with 2 sugars and a pack of coffee mate. When I met my first girlfriend, she used less sugar and cream than I did, so to show her how manly I was, I switched to black.

I remember when people used to pull over for a funeral procession, you never see that these days!

BF

Dr.... no apologogy necessary.... not offended..

My apologies if I've offended you sgt.

Again, I apologize if I've offended you. Two of my good friends are retired cops, I still call them "sir".

I understand.... no offense taken....I too am appalled at the lack of respect that most "youngsters" show to any authority... unfortunately, some of the training that young officers receive is that you are always in control and that you need to stay in control..it makes for a confrontational meeting.... sometimes that is what is needed but sometimes you just need to remember the golden rule.... "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".... always been my motto... wish it was used a bit more routinely.... thanks for taking the time to clear that up......

I remember Polio, Iron Lungs, Mumps, Whooping Cough.
The retarded (and aggressive) neighbor girl was chained in the back yard like a dog.
Bums knocking at the door for food.
Scrounging in the dump for bottles we could return for deposit.
Getting beat up by the "project" kids.
Square dancing in grade school gym class, with girls. Ick! Little did we know...
Having to sit at the table til all my over cooked vegetables were eaten.
Washing down vegetables with swallows of milk.
Gagging.:eek:
Ox tail soup.
More gagging.:eek:

Just point out that not everthing in the "good old days" was good. Most of it was, but not everything.:rolleyes:

Pittsburg..... born there..... moved to MI when

My dad went to work for Fisher body...... Live in Wilkenburg.... move when I was 9 so don't remember much about that except the hills and that Pittsburg was filthy from the mills.....lol

Donsrod, you are a wealth of information.....seriously....

Believe it or not babyface, people here still pull over for funerals...at least in our city.....

I hated coffee until I went into business for myself and was working 7 days a week, 16 to 18 hours a day..... the american dream.... own a business.... not an easy task..... my opinion... If every employee were to have been in business for themselves they would make better employee's... they would better understand what it takes and the type of committment you need to do it...
needed to drink coffee to keep going... now there is energy drinks.... has anyone drank that crap.... tastes terrible.... tried that other 5 hour energy drink.... nearly puked.....I'll stick with coffee and a few vitamin B's.....Lol

What a great thread! Don't know how I missed this one. Since I graduated in 1977, I remember some things the older guys have posted, like oil in cans, Coke in bottles. Here's a few from my era of the early 70's:

Clackers- two hard plastic balls tied together with a string, object was to pop the balls together without knocking the heck outta yourself! How dumb an idea was that?

Pong- the first video game. Two sliding rectangles on a screen with a square "ball" that bounced back and forth like a tennis ball. Lame as heck, but we thought it was high tech!

Cuffs on bell bottoms.
Polyester pants.
Leisure suits made entirely of polyester. What were we thinking? Hot as heck in the summer, cold as being naked in the winter!

Harness boots. Had to be the ones with two rivets to each harness strap. No zip ups, either, pull on's only!

"Scavenger pipes", three or four foot long CHROME exhaust pipes, had to stick out the back of the car.

Antenna balls, usually with a gas station logo on them. 76 was a favorite around here, as there were very few 76 stations. Mobil flying horse was a close second, practically none of those around here.

8 track under the dash, and a set of those wedge shaped speakers in the rear glass shelf.

Fanta and Nehi orange and grape flavored colas. Both were cheaper than Coke or Pepsi. And cheaper still were the store brands, like Chek Cola. Some were nasty, some were pretty good!

While we're talking drinks, remember Tang, the drink that went to the moon? A powder you mixed with water that was supposed to make orange juice. Never did like that stuff.
Hi-C and Hawaiian Punch in quart cans.

Like ya said Bamamav a very great thread indeed! [cl
Hey anybody remember"chroming glove-compartment doors"? As a kid cruising the streets of California,it was probably the first thing I had chromed on my ride. My dates would always wonder why "i'd ask them to wear a skirt(hopefully short)and why I would cruise around with the interior lights on.[ddd

Drive in movies that charged $ 1.10 a car load, and hiding people in the trunk at the drive ins that charged per person. Double dating where your buddy chipped in for gas money. Trying to scrounge up enough money for a big date on weekends.

I remember how on top of the world you felt when that cute girl accepted your offer to go out. That loooooooooong reach to get your arm around her shoulders, and teaching your girlfriends how to shift so you didn't have to remove your right arm from around her.

Older girls...........the 9th graders in your class were kinda scrawny, but MAN, those 11th and 12th graders were HOT !!!!!! espeically the cheerleaders and majorettes. :D Then there was always that one teacher who was young and good looking and all the guys had fantasies about her. Taking typing class because your buddy convinced you there were lots of girls in there and you would be the only two guys.:cool:

And that agonizing long walk you would make at a sock hop to ask some girl to dance and the relief you felt when she said "yes'........or the dejected walk back if she said "no". :( :eek::eek:

Don

I remember in the mid 60s my three buddies and I would be driving around in Mikes 57 chevy rag top on Friday nights lookin' for some girls, We always had 2 12 packs of beer with us. (4 guys= 6 beers each) but every Friday night we would be stopped by the local cops, they knew we had beer.... so being cops they searched the car and took 1 12 pack and told us not to drink in the car, now we had 3 beers each to last all night! we never got drunk and we never crashed the car and we always loved and respected the cops who protected us and let us have some fun at the same time. those cops would always let us tell our side of the story if there was a fight or some other problem. I really miss those times.

Then there was always that one teacher who was young and good looking and all the guys had fantasies about her. Taking typing class because your buddy convinced you there were lots of girls in there and you would be the only two guys.:cool:

Don

Flashback x2.

Typing: "My" typing teacher was a bombshell blonde. 5 foot 2 in high heels and... uh... lost my train of thought... oh yeah, there were some girls in the class, too. :D

Oil in a can: Grade 12. I've got a hot date with a girl across town. I'm almost there when I realize I need gas. I stop for gas and check my oil. It needs oil. I get a quart and a screwdriver out of the trunk. I poke a clean vent hole in one side of the can... fail miserably on the other... oil geysers out the vent hole and drenches me in 10W30 Havoline. Too late to turn back, I wipe myself down with a few dozen paper towels and show up at the girl's house. "Dad" answers the door to a fully lubricated long haired greasy punk and a clapped out Impala at the curb. He doesn't say a word. He looks me up and down, quickly admires my rusty Chevy, turns to his daughter and says, "You are not using the pool."

Man ! What a cool thread! Gettin in to my older years, I love trips down memory lane! To all who put in on this thread-THANK YOU!

Miss Johnson, 11th grade english, i was 16 she was 28, ah, what could have been. Then again, she would be 76 now,---------------then again, i've always had a thing for older women![dr

I remember Typing class. Only two boys. Twenty something Teacher was "motherly" :D One day she walked up behind me as i was attempting to type and put her hands on my chest. This put all that "motherness" over each shoulder. I managed to get a look at the girl beside me...her mouth had dropped open and her eyes were big as saucers :D

As a kid my dad always had a convertible. Saturday was car wash day so our family could cruise to town and get a McDonalds milk shake.
I always wanted a Vroom bicycle engine looking noise maker.
Does any one else no what a Parts Pup magazine is? My dad used to hide them from me but they only had a few pics of women and some corny jokes.

Latest posts

Back