1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a picture of the pedals in, not for the last time it turns out. The clutch is all done even the return spring is on there. The brakes are a different matter.

Attachments

• IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 33
I always appreciated Leslie's humour, Dr. C.
I must have confused you about the pedals being too far ahead. That was last weeks dilemma, [fixed with a pencil grinder to the toeboard, in a couple of minutes]. This new dilemma is underneath. The little arm that sticks out the bottom of the pedal pivot housing had to be moved a wee bit and I couldn't heat it up enough underneath the car with all of the other things in the road. This little arm is what pushes the rod into the vacuum booster so it has to be lined up just right, and strong. It's fixed now but I had a town day today so not much got done.

haha man I know all about the "pull it apart and change it slightly" thing, but when its not right it is not right and you gotta fix it!

"Re-imagining" pedals is one of my all-time least favorite chores... congrats on taking care of the little stuff. It makes everything much better in the end.[cl[cl

The pedals are in and both functioning. I'm happier with this new linkage system on the brakes. Here's some pictures; the first one is all of the pieces and the next one is after the installation.

Attachments

• IMG_2119.jpg
    IMG_2119.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2120.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 26
The picture I posted before was all the same colour so it was confusing. I now have painted the curved actuating arm off the bottom of the brake pedal orange, and drawn a lime green line through the extended rod that pushes the valve in the brake booster.
The actuating arm [orange] lined up with the plunger rod [green] at a poor place. First the arm would have been too close to the pedal pivot so it wouldn't have enough travel, and second it would have been travelling mostly vertically. I made the linkage system complicated to overcome these two obstacles. I extended the plunger rod back through the plastic bushing so it would push straight into the booster valve every time.

Attachments

• IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2120.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 27
The main bracket off the crossmember that holds the clutch and brake pedal combination, is only iron and it flexes when I push on either of the pedals. I usually mount a brace to something solid and this car is no exception. There is going to be a brace from the front of the pedal pivot housing over to the side of the bellhousing. Here is a pic of it installed in primer and then one of it painted.

This simple looking little brace took a long time to imagineer, fabricate, test fit, rebuild, retest, and rebuild again, but there it is.

Attachments

• IMG_2122.jpg
    IMG_2122.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2127.jpg
    IMG_2127.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back